Search the forum,

Discuss ADVICE - flushing, inhibitor, boiler kettling ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

My boiler after about 7 years has startd ratting like a bag of bolts/kettle boleing when CH is on.

It has NEVER had any additives or a magnetic cleaner !

I have heard of build u of limescale etc causing this and LOADS of even (even registered plumbers) of using

Fernox F2 Central Heating Boiler Noise Silencer 500ml

Should i just add it ? drain system and flush and add it ? do i need to ad another additive or will Fernox F2 just do the job ?

Also if F2 is removing limescale, flux etc....does it need to be drained again after a few weeks and another additive put in ??

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Depends how bad the build up of scale is ! take it you are in a hard water area ? you may need to get a proper descale done, Try first adding F5 heavy duty cleaner to system It may not be scale but just a very dirty system !

My PH level is 7, so in the middle really, do i add that cleaner, leave it run in syste for while then drain ?

Also does that only come with a can as i have a eezy drain to add additives.

Cheers

Give system a quick flush (Empty it) then re-fill adding F5 leave running for a good week the hotter system gets the better F5 works ! But keep an eye on all joints /rad valves etc. has once cleaner starts to brake down dirt in system you may notice some leaks, Contact your insurance Co and see what you are covered for, cos any week points on system this stuff will find it !!

So i run it for ONE week, then flush it out, do you recommend adding an additive like F1 after i have done this ?

I will add F2 if i get any leaks, but if they are just around rads etc i should be able to handle them easiy, i have fitted many rads etc..

worth looking at the Magnaclean videos on YouTube.
personally I would fit a Magnaclean first, let it pick up any dirt in the system. Check it after one day, see what it has picked up, if a lot, then gradually reduce the checking frequency until it stops picking stuff up, then use F2, not so aggressive, and follow with a good cleaner. Would have been better to do it in the winter! Have had amazing results with Magnaclean, not so impressed with the other makes, I have tried them all over the years, and always gone back to Magnaclean, most of my mates say the same.
I assume Ferroli has plate heat exchanger, worth checking that as well.

You had it fitted 20 years ago and its kettling now tbh you not done bad with it at all.

As JTS says time for a good flush out and a chemical clean , i recommend changing the water in the system every 5 years when was yours last done ? heres a open vent system i found recently various ways of doing it and not that hard if your ok at diy cheers kop

20170310_083420.jpg

20170310_124133.jpg

20170310_161615.jpg

Your problem may not be due to scaling or sludge.

It may be the pump - or the pump motor capacitor.
The pump may be running but rotating slowly not pushing enough water through the heat exchanger.

I have considered the pump/speed etc, still not got around to looking at it tbh, going try some F3 as i don't fancy springing leaks with stronger F5.

I will let you know how i get on.

Cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ADVICE - flushing, inhibitor, boiler kettling ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock