Search the forum,

Discuss Additives after boiler replacement. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
System has been largely unchanged for about 15 years, Worcester oil boiler and about 18 rads, all cleaned or new back then, but boiler recently failed (see my other posts) and has now been replaced with a good used similar Worcester with separate (new) pumps for CH and DHW and this ‘pump plan’ system I devised is working well, with no motorised valves - yay! But...

When replacing a lot of the pipe work to the boiler, it was clear the old pipes were badly scaled - unsurprising with very hard water and no additives used in all this time. Currently there’s just 1L of X100 been added, but I feel I need to do more to really clean it all out first. What would be a sensible course of action to get this system cleaner and protected?

Sentinel make a range of products, as do Fernox. Is either better? I’m guessing X100 (or Fernox equivalent?) would be fine in the long term, but what actual cleaning products would be a good choice?

I’m prepared to fill, run and empty/fill a couple of times to do this, so can anyone suggest a sensible procedure and products to use?

Thanks.

X800 for a couple of weeks under normal load

Then drop it out and add 2l -3l of x100

Thanks for that. What about X300 or X400? They all seem to provide the same 'cleaning/de-scaling' action, what are the differences that indicate one or the other would be best?

X800 if it's really dirty
X400 if it's not bad

Never used 300

Looks like it's X400 or X800 and reading info on the Sentinel site suggests X800 is especially suitable for use with powerflushing as it is fast acting. But if I can simply leave it in there for a month or so, looks like X400 would be more suitable. This is how they put it:-

"For the most thorough clean, use Sentinel X400 High Performance Cleaner. For the quickest clean, use Sentinel X800 Fast Acting Cleaner in conjunction with a powerflushing machine."

So looks like 2L X400 in there for a few weeks, empty, flush with fresh then fill with 2L X100. Does that sound like a good plan?

Looks like it's X400 or X800 and reading info on the Sentinel site suggests X800 is especially suitable for use with powerflushing as it is fast acting. But if I can simply leave it in there for a month or so, looks like X400 would be more suitable. This is how they put it:-

"For the most thorough clean, use Sentinel X400 High Performance Cleaner. For the quickest clean, use Sentinel X800 Fast Acting Cleaner in conjunction with a powerflushing machine."

So looks like 2L X400 in there for a few weeks, empty, flush with fresh then fill with 2L X100. Does that sound like a good plan?

Sounds ok

Significant scaling, if you are referring to the white chalky deposits normally associated with hardness, may be a sign that the system has a leak somewhere.

I have never used x800 but have heard you dont leave it in , and when its been in if must be flushed out , with no traces left .
X400 is good stuff

X800 is the boy. But wouldnt leave it in longer than a few days. Apparently will eat through your rads.

And some more, straight from the horse's (i.e. Sentinel's) mouth:-

"both will do a good job, the key difference is the time scale. X800 will have removed as much as it can in 24hrs, X400 being a ‘gentle’ cleaner can be left in for 3 weeks before draining. Both will benefit from temperature so run your system as normal."

So in fact I think I will use X800 for a couple of days then flush and refill with some X100. Although this is not time critical, I guess it would be better overall to have it all finished in a couple of days and then it's all done and any mess can be cleared up and tools put away etc.

Always used Fernox F3 I bung it in and leave it some time, have left it in for weeks. Usually buy it cheap on *bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Additives after boiler replacement. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock