Search the forum,

Discuss acs resit failed again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sal786

resat acs practical and on last question i was asked to visualy inspect boiler with out touching and spotted the pipework to be incorrect as seemed to be steel as i told him its the wrong fitting and not mentioning its lead i failed ...as i been working with a gas safe engineer for the past year and have good experiance and knowledge .my question is do you think i have had a fair deal failing on just one fault .....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't spot a lead pipe what else did you miss there not there to fail you on purpose if your failed twice maybe gas is not for you mate

wel i think he after doing all other assesments perfectly eg controls safety devices appliances f/f spillige vents fault finding on appliances i think it was a bit harsh ..as i mentioned before i told him it was the wrong fitting ...

to me as i touched it seemed like mild steel coupler as lead doesnt look so tough as mild steel ...and as i have worked on mild steel before

assessors are looking for you to give them the confidence that you can work safe, often the thing they record can seem insignificant but its usually a number of small things.

i suspect he doesnt have the confidence in you, the lead pipe was the item he recorded

I had an inpection recently and the inspector was happy overall but he did pull me for refering to a flue flow test as I called it a smoke test.
But it is a competence assesment and anyone who is competent will breeze it if your not then you won`t

i just think the center is just out to make money by failing people...

i was asked to visualy inspect boiler with out touching

"to me as i touched it seemed like mild steel "

Maybe he wasn't happy with your hearing

seems like a crap thing to fail on, i feel as if i missed much worse things than that my first acs exam but i was helped out along the way, general vibe i got at my centre is they didnt want you to fail, after all i think a fail will look bad on their part.

i just think the center is just out to make money by failing people...

get your dummy off the floor, there are many occasions when an assessor could fail a candidate but with some professional judgement a question will be asked another way to put the candidate at ease, a good assessor can tell in the first half hour to one hour whether a candidate will pass and is perhaps uneasy with the assessment process but knows their stuff, and to put it mildly if you have failed the ACS assessment twice you are crap at gas, get another job, ACS assessments get pelters from within the trade as unnecessarliy easy so if you cant reaach a level of competance doing a simple exam and practical then you wont be safe on your own, i dont know where you sat the exam so i dont know if they sell assessments cheap then fail people for more money, ask them for their pass/fail rate, you can get it from their accreditation body, also there is an appeal procedure which each centre has to follow, so complain in writing that you were unfairly treated as a money making scam and that you want a full investigation, you might be offered another assessment in front of an independant assessor or a joint assessment with their IV (Internal Verifier) good luck with that one!!!!!!!!!!
the assessor will get a feeling about an initial assessment candidate and knows if they are going to make the grade, you were probably ropey on a few thigs and just scraped through but were border line and the lead was just the final thing that made him say no you are not competant

seems like a crap thing to fail on, i feel as if i missed much worse things than that my first acs exam but i was helped out along the way, general vibe i got at my centre is they didnt want you to fail, after all i think a fail will look bad on their part.

i dont agree at all that a fail makes the centre look bad, in my opinion 100% pass rate makes the centre look dodgy, but i can assure everyone there are no pass/fail percentages like we used to hear about with driving tests, if 100% pass they pass and if any fail they fail, if you were "assisted" i would suggest this was because of assessor discretion and he knew you were competant but caught in the headlights a wee bit, take it as a compliment. I honestly dont think an assessor would fail someone for this alone, i bet his paperwork had tons of second attempts and oral verifications to get him to that stage it would be an accumulation of red x's that made the assessor feel he wasnt competant, we have to send them out to work and sleep at night knowing we have only passed those who deserve it

kirk gas i passed my written papers 100% on a few of them first time like regs and closed book ...found them quiet easy to do...on the first practical made few mistakes which i admit . rebooked resit and the center was on me like a ton of bricks to pay for resit very pushy ..second time did all assesments on appliances safety controls etc perfectly but stil failed ..the other students where allowed to cheak there notes and books to find the answer eg one guy didnt no how to do a spillige test and he went and found the answer for him on hes practical ...i did everything by the book took my time ..the gas safe engineer who i work with cant belive it ..i am goin to complain and take it further..i own my own letting agency business and make sure i sleep at nite knowing my tenents havent got any gas leaks or faulty appliancies..

Well for one your tenants I hope your not working on gas appliances bye yourself as you are Not qualified
Think there is more to it maybe you think your better than you are harsh sorry but just sounds like sour grapes to me your assesser was not there just to fail you you must of cocked up

How many was there on course with you??
How many failed the assessment??
There where 8 in the group and 3 passed ...what ive heard is max pass rate for the center is 2 or 3 per group ...every time.they must make a killing on resit fees

any way thanks guys for your mixed comments ...will take test again at other center in a few weeks .may be the examiners comment at the end to me as i leaving sumed it up..."can you check your bag if you have any of our logic training manuels in there"they keep going missing.....

any way thanks guys for your mixed comments ...will take test again at other center in a few weeks .may be the examiners comment at the end to me as i leaving sumed it up..."can you check your bag if you have any of our training manuels in there"they keep going missing.....

Don't get your point

".i own my own letting agency business and make sure i sleep at nite knowing my tenents havent got any gas leaks or faulty appliancies..""

If I was assessing you, and your written replies to answers were as badly spelt as above you would have failed within 10 minutes.

Sorry fella but this industry is so technical now, basic grammar is a must.

It does sound like your looking for excuses mate but if what you are saying is true, trying another centre seems the best thing to do and hopefully you will be back on here having passed your acs, then the real learning starts. Good luck

It does sound like your looking for excuses mate but if what you are saying is true, trying another centre seems the best thing to do and hopefully you will be back on here having passed your acs, then the real learning starts. Good luck

Thanks for the advice mike

Sal to be honest i think you might be wasting your time or worse still a liability to yourself and your tenants , I have been doing the gas for nearly 20 years and am still learning

There where 8 in the group and 3 passed ...what ive heard is max pass rate for the center is 2 or 3 per group ...every time.they must make a killing on resit fees

absolute nonsense, where did you "hear" this, it is 100% complete nonsense, but if it was true do you not think we would keep it a better secret than to tell someone who had failed, name the centre you sat your acs in to see if others have any experience, if only 3 passed then only 3 deserved to pass, re the comment about some of them looking in their books, this is standard practice in assessments, they are all open book on practical, i know some places have some closed written Q's but it is how long for a TT etc, ask the centre manager to discuss your paperwork with you, a second opinion can be asked for and in extreme cases he can over rule the assessor, (that aint gonna go down too well after it but, as the assessor should know what he is doing and if his boss over rules him it will pee him off) you made comments about the centre pushing you for resit money etc, this doesnt sound too professional, and as i said earlier there could be centres who fail people for money but their pass rate figures will show this, get them from their accreditation centre NOT them, why dont you go to another centre to sit your assessment to see how you get on, how much did they charge you for your resit, we charge £100 per day to come back in to finish/resit ACS after the alloted time has elapsed, and i have NEVER dragged out an assessment or failed someone to get extra money, but have failed a few people who i wouldn't send to work in my granny's.the theory being if you aint good enough to work in my granny's you aint good enough to work in anybodys granny's, NAME AND SHAME THE CENTRE I SAY, it wasnt mine so i aint got nothing to lose haha

he was suggesting i had taken one of there books ...which in my mind was a insult to my character .

no he wasnt he was politely asking you to check your bag to see if you had inadvertently lifted one of their books, I have asked candidates many times to check to see who has lifted one of my BS docs or IUP, and as i cant prove they were nicking it i always suggest it has been lifted by mistake

I agree name and shame and lets see who else has had the same issues. I cannot see a centre staying in business with that pass rate , I remember when i was doing mine years ago and a guy was asked to leave as he had not a clue how to purge a pipe

you say you did the assessment twice, and the second time you failed as you failed to recognise a lead pipe,, did you fail on this twice or spot it the first time, or what did you fail on the first time,

I agree name and shame and lets see who else has had the same issues. I cannot see a centre staying in business with that pass rate , I remember when i was doing mine years ago and a guy was asked to leave as he had not a clue how to purge a pipe

i referred a guy a few yrs ago who was trying to do a TT with no water in the manometer :-( he went away raging that we were too strict, haha, referred is the polite way of failing someone, technically you get referred as not yet competant, he was a working gas engineer who worked as part of a squad and his excuse was he never did the testing, we felt that strongly about him being dodgy we contacted CORGI to report him, as we felt he would simply go somewhere else and try his luck, and if he did at least we had flagged something up, didnt hear whether he did go somewhere else or not

you say you did the assessment twice, and the second time you failed as you failed to recognise a lead pipe,, did you fail on this twice or spot it the first time, or what did you fail on the first time,

The first time l failed the assessor said he could'nt tell me what i failed on because he said im assessing you not teaching you..i new i made a few mistakes with the flue flow test and testing safety controls and i didnt get to the lead pipe part which was the last question the first time round. The resit cost me 600 pounds which they said was a reduced price and 2 & 1/2 day refresher and one day practical ...

After reading through thread,no name to try to shame please and those suggesting it should know better

Thank you

Would it be unreasonable to ask sal786 which part of the country (maybe even narrowed down to postcode) the centre was located. The training centre I attended recently were brilliant in the Burgess Hill area of Sussex & the trainers professionalism was unquestionable.

I dont think it is unreasonable to name this training centre ,If the training is that bad I would want to know ,Wouldnt you ?
I am wondering has he got the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to acs resit failed again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
    • Love
During Covid I had to undertake a phone consultation to pass my Gas Safe Inspection. I failed dismally even though I have over 35 years experience! I am extremely knowledgeable in my industry, but when the pressure of having to answer rapid fire questions over the phone, and with an expectation...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello there, I have quite a story and a looking for some advice here. On Thursday during the cold snap our hot water stopped working (in the sense of not water at all coming out of the taps). The central heating was working fine. As I have two newborns and having encountered this for the very...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock