Search the forum,

Discuss ACS practical exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveWannadoGas

Hello all, I`m soon taking part my acs gas practical. I need to know if anyone can help with the unsafe situations part, specifically the board with the different pieces of pipework. Anyone know it?

I want to know what faults may be found on this type of set-up. Does anyone know?
`
I believe I have to find every fault on the board, so I`m keen to know what faults to look out for. Can anyone help? Ive checked in the gas text book but it isnt a great deal of help.

Many thanks!

Open ends
Not sleeved
Valves don't fall to off
Valves not capped off(open End)
Clips
Not suitable connections (normally brazed track pipe )
Hidden compression fittings
Sleeves not sealed in meter boxes

Will think of more later and will edit as I go

incorrect iso's/fittings, clippings.
quite easy really if you study the fundamentals.

it sounds easy yes but I need to get all of them, to pass. So any suggestions are very welcome. Thankyou to those who have already answered! I suppose there isnt already a thread on this?

I do have a number of things already, but need to find every one.

it sounds easy yes but I need to get all of them, to pass. So any suggestions are very welcome. Thankyou to those who have already answered! I suppose there isnt already a thread on this?

I do have a number of things already, but need to find every one.

Tbh take your time and work from one end to another

They will be in front of you

Is the pipe suitable for Gas
Are the fittings suitable for Gas and for the pipe type and correctly fitted.
Are the fixings suitable and sufficient.
Are the jointing mediums suitable for Gas.
Is the location of the pipe with regard to other services O.K
Is Bonding visible, either permanent or temporary if appropriate.

By the aounds of the original post he is asking about the controls jig on the board.

hi, thankyou, yes the 3` x 3` board, with a meter on it, pipework arranged on it with a variety of endings, unsuitable fittings, damaged trac pipe etc.

Another question.... if there is an clamped earth wire, that just disappears through the back of the board, then disappears out of sight, is that ok?

Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trac pipe and all the faults that previous posters have mentioned will be in a bay not on the board.
The board typically consists of a back boiler burner a cooker rail a fire burner a regulator amongst others with safety devices such as thermocouples liquid expansion stats bi metallic strips and so on.
If you dont know already how they work then you need to read up on valves controls and safety devices

Once I'm back on the computer tomorrow will post a file up that will help you with your controls

Sorry i havent been clear, have I?

I`m talking about on a wooden board, situated on the wall in an assessment bay. Clipped to that board are a variety of connected pipes, inappropriate fittings, valves, push fit endings etc. I`m trying to list as many things as possible, that might be wrong with the installation.

all/any help, much appreciated!

Sorry i havent been clear, have I?

I`m talking about on a wooden board, situated on the wall in an assessment bay. Clipped to that board are a variety of connected pipes, inappropriate fittings, valves, push fit endings etc. I`m trying to list as many things as possible, that might be wrong with the installation.
The faults you describe are on an installation in a bay.

The board has controls and safety devices and burners on it.
I think you have crossed wires

The faults you describe are on an installation in a bay.

The board has controls and safety devices and burners on it.
I think you have crossed wires

Not always mate seen them on an sheet of ply before now

Just write down everything you see. No one can give you an answer as there is no stardard "board"
Each centre makes them up to suit themselves.
There is nothing hard about it so stop panicking.

Proximity to electrical equipment always a good one, bonding after a tee, two anacondas.

except that I`ve already failed it once through not being able to find everything.

except that I`ve already failed it once through not being able to find everything.

Then revise the regs & unsafe situations harder, and get a bit more hands-on experience with a GSR. As already said, the assessment bays and faults are made by the centres so no two will be the same..

When you're in there, take your time, work methodically from one end of the installation to the other. Look above, below and behind the boards for open ends, incorrect fittings etc. If a pipe disappears through a hole in the board look at where it goes. That's a favourite place to hide pushfit fittings...

One thing I`ve seen on at least a couple of boards, is an earth wire attached to the pipework, then disappearing through a hole in the board so you cannot see where it goes and cannot check it. Is that a fault or a red herring? Also on one board, there was a rectangular metal plate behind the pipework. Is that an issue? Does pipework have to be a certain distance from unrelated metals?

One thing I`ve seen on at least a couple of boards, is an earth wire attached to the pipework, then disappearing through a hole in the board so you cannot see where it goes and cannot check it. Is that a fault or a red herring? Also on one board, there was a rectangular metal plate behind the pipework. Is that an issue? Does pipework have to be a certain distance from unrelated metals?

Both those answers are in the books. We could tell you but then all we'd be doing is spoonfeeding you. I'd rather you did the research yourself, as in the process you'll learn other stuff too. It'll make you a more knowledgeable engineer in the long run.

Ok thanks. I`ve got the Domestic Gas Safety On Site Guide with the NICEIC logo on the front and the picture of a hob burner. Can you tell me please where I`d find that in the book? I have books one and two. I`ve looked through the book but can`t find those.

Many thanks!

TBH, a lot of what you're asking comes from common sense and what you should have learned by now.
You'd be better off thinking through it yourself.
If people tell you answers you won't remember them and situations you come across in a work environment will still confuse you.
No one knows all the answers but you should know where and how to find them.
That's the point of testing you.

I hope this helps

Seems clear that the OP has not had enough hands on experience to find the faults, if the centre he is using has a 3x3 board with all the faults he needs to find and still can-not do it he needs more experience out in the field, The centre I use has the bays set out just like you would find on site with pipe work running behind things, through walls etc.. and you have to do a tightness test locate a leak & list faults, on a3x3 board it would be easy to do, if he has done his homework.

Ok thanks. I`ve got the Domestic Gas Safety On Site Guide with the NICEIC logo on the front and the picture of a hob burner. Can you tell me please where I`d find that in the book? I have books one and two. I`ve looked through the book but can`t find those.

Many thanks!

Come on, think about it! Is every cable always visible throughout it's run? Why would you need to separate dissimilar metals? What's the reasons behind it? That will help you decide whether you need a gap, and will also help you when running gas pipework!

Many thanks! Yes I can see no reason but I`m not a seasoned engineer. I`d seen that mysterious disappearing earth cable on two different rigs, but maybe that`s just a particular red herring they like to throw in!

Many thanks! Yes I can see no reason but I`m not a seasoned engineer. I`d seen that mysterious disappearing earth cable on two different rigs, but maybe that`s just a particular red herring they like to throw in!

It's not a red herring. If there were NO equipotential bonding, it'd be a fault. Not every single aspect of the installation will be a fault. Some parts will be fine, otherwise it would be too easy to find 3 faults or whatever it is they require...

One tip to remember when you're asked to do a visual inspection in ACS assessments is to really look; not just glance at things. Whether it's gas pipes or flues, look closely and in detail, not just at the front but around and behind. Take your time.

With the pipework task I would suggest checking the following:

Sleeving: if the pipe comes through the wall is it sleeved correctly? Is the sleeve sealed with the correct type of compound?

Electrics: is the pipe too close to cables? Is it to close to electrical equipment such as consumer units and electric meters?

Clipping: is the pipe supported at the correct intervals? Are the clips of the correct design?

Open ends: is there an open ended pipe or fitting? This would include pipe / fitting that has been capped with an incorrect fitting.

Compression fittings: have they been used correctly within the restrictions of their use?

Is there any damage or corrosion visible on the pipe?

Earth bonding: is it in the correct place? Has the correct cross-sectional area wire been used?

Is any pipe obviously undersized (i.e. such that you can tell visually, without calculation)?

Fittings: are they suitable for gas?

Meter anaconda: is it the correct side of the meter?

ECV: does it fall to off? Is it unobstructed? Are the ON / OFF positions labelled?

Are any flexible connectors used correctly?

These days, as well as spotting the faults you also have to classify them within the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure. Make sure you learn the correct classifications, and whether any of the faults would be RIDDOR reportable (generally ID faults which are caused by bad workmanship).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ACS practical exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock