1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Accumulators? Simple??? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. spikewt

spikewt GSR

Are accumulators as simple as redirecting the mains from the unvented cylinder thru the accumulator then back into the pressure reducing valve to the cylinder giving equal pressure accross hot and cold??
    Or am i missing something?

2. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

it's so you can boost the pressure by use of a pump on the mains i think

3. spikewt

spikewt GSR

Im looking at one without a pump. Iv got 3 bar and 14 lmin but it on 15mm mains. Looks to me like you jus run the mains thru it to the accumulator. With non return valves.

4. secret squirrel

secret squirrel Guest

I made a few enqs on these a while ago. Can't remember the company but they were very helpful. You have to connect it to the mains after the kitchen tap. You then need to set the pressure at whatever the highest pressure of the house is. you need to test the pressure at varying times of the day. if the highest pressure is 2.5 bar then you can set it at 2.5. That is the pressure you'll get. Apparently.

5. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR

mains in to acumulator mains out to pressure reducing valve and then to unented cylinder ,the job of acumolator is to maintain same pressure during peak and off peak hours ,works good the one i fit could not adjust it but did good job

6. BLOD

BLOD Plumber GSR

They are just a large expansion vessel (for potable water)
    I've fitted a few with good results, main problem I've found is having a space large enough to install them.

I haven't fitted the GAH one's but they have a decent diagram on the link below
    http://www.gah.co.uk/downloads/GAH-coldstream-2010-Feb.pdf

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. spikewt

spikewt GSR

Thanks blod. Thats the sort of thing iv been looking for. I had it in my mind roughly how that looks. In gonna get a horizontal one an stick it in the loft i think. Ill lift all the insulation from under it an jus lay it over so it shouldnt freeze.

8. BLOD

BLOD Plumber GSR

If you've got a small loft hatch you can fit smaller ones in series. Advanced water have a good selection of different sized ones.

9. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Plumber GSR

i was told recently these dont comply with water regs as they are effectively a dead leg

10. BLOD

BLOD Plumber GSR

I'd agree they are a dead leg, but would that then mean all the unvented cylinders fitted with expansion vessels don't comply with regs either ?

11. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

Great link

12. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Cheers Blod really really plain and simple

13. Megaflo-Experts

Megaflo-Experts Plumber GSR

Yes, that's correct. It will store and delivery water at your static pressure. i.e. 3 bar.

14. Megaflo-Experts

Megaflo-Experts Plumber GSR

15. Worcester

Worcester Plumber

Just checked back on the TWS siste - any one found where the demo has gone? The website has gone all consumer instead of technical ./ installer, and I don't see that wonderful graphic that they used to have :)

Got one we need to install for a farmer.

• Creative Creative x 1