Search the forum,

Discuss Abnormal Filling Loops - advice pls! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have recently had a new Boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 630 + Gledhill 210L) with powerflush.

When the engineer was doing the powerflush, and all radiator valves were closed, he said that there was still flow, so there was an abnormal loop and therefore my efficiency would be low.

3 of the front radiators in my house dont work very well and take a long time/dont heat up. (Despite easy fixes being done, bleeding, power flush etc).

I have no idea, where the abnormal filling loop is- what would you suggest?
Would thermal camera work?

Thanks

Probably meant you have a bypass circuit somewhere. Could be the flow and return pipes have been joined together somewhere.
If you had all rads and cylinder circuits off, only circuit should be from an actual bypass valve.
Would need a heating engineer in to search for what area the flow is returning from. If pipes are accessible below wooden floors for example, then just a matter of lifting boards

The whole heating system was installed yesterday or just a new boiler and tank?
If it was all installed yesterday get the installer back.

Apologies my boiler and tank yesterday which was when it was noticed.

The house, has been at various time points, extension 10yr ago and then again 2yrs ago.

1 day old.
Just installed yesterday
But your system (pipework) is original, isn't it?
There could be a flow pipe wrongly linked to a return pipe somewhere, but that is if your engineer was correct in his opinion. That might mean some of the system will not heat properly

Agree with chalked, 1 pipe system especially with the three rads not heating/slowly. Get that checked out first

Do the pipes enter at the top of the rad on 1 side and the bottom on the other.

50's -60's. Bang on for a one pipe system. If theses are not connected to correctly, extended correctly, or understood. Your system won't work properly. A more experienced engineer will be able to get it working better, but will need to see it .

All pipes enter on the bottom on all radiators.

Would you all advise, to try finding this loop, or leave it? The house is getting warm just slowly....

Thanks all for your advice.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it is broke, get it fixed properly so it doesn't break again.

I would pick one of your cool radiators and lift the boards so you can see the pipes, if both valves go into one pipe, I.e. The flow tees off into one valve, the pipe continues on and then tees off to the other valve then that is a one pipe system,you will need someone who is confident on this system, it is too easy to cock it up if they don't know what they are doing,

thank you all.

after getting my hands on a thermal camera, i have spent some time chasing hot pipes to rads around. i found this, what do you think about this?

It is directly upstairs to the 2 rads which dont heat up. do you think it could be related or unlikley?

thanks for your help

FLIR00002.jpg

I'm slightly confused looking at that one
(mainly because I'm not there )
Can to post a Photo of what is in the IR view
(or is it just carpet !)-Which way to rads ..

try to scan with heating on where pipes go to the floor from the hallway rad. on current scanned image you cant clearly tell as only seems to be one pipe supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Abnormal Filling Loops - advice pls! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock