Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Ableskills fastrack gas safe engineer course in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

A fast track engineer should start his role as a service only engineer. Then as he get used to appliances should be trained as a breakdown engineer. Everyone deserves a chance especially people that already have a family and want to get a trade but cannot afford to have 2 years off work.

2. Simon 45

Simon 45 Member

I agree everyone should make an effort to find a job, I respect them for that, they are my kind of people

3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Why do you want to be gas safe?
    Is it purely because you can get the qualification quickly?

I would imagine the fast track course teaches you gas safety, I don't imagine it will teach you how to fit a boiler, diagnose a fault, solder a joint etc

4. British Gaz

British Gaz New Member

5. Eddm87

Eddm87 New Member

Hi. I have done the level 2 fast track plumbing course at ableskills this year.

I had been working as what qualifies as a plumbers mate in a hospital for 6 months before I had my first able skills session.

I could and did practice pipe skills at work (mainly on the quiet night shifts) and learner the theory at home.
    I would personally say it is a great way to do it, but only if u have some form of experience, don't rock up on the day and expect them to teach you it and you will just get it in a week or so.

I have to agree with many of the opinions on here which talk of people not meeting the regs. I have seen this too many times already and I'm new!
    I strongly recommend goingwifh your friend for a bit first and learning the water regs.
    I am off to take the water regs course at able skills next month as I personally feel this is important. Just my two cents
    Cheers

Edd