Search the forum,

Discuss Ableskills fastrack gas safe engineer course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have no previous experience in plumbing or any trade, however I am interested in training as a gas safe engineer. I am looking to do the fast track gas safe engineer course with able skills. My friend who is now a gas safe engineer working for a company said he did a course with able skills few years back but it wasn’t the fast track one as it took him nearly 2 years to complete.

He is telling me to do the level 2 plumbing course in college for 1 year then move on to gas course but im limited on time as I need to get finished on the course and start working as soon as I can.

My friend is happy for me to accompany him and learn from him. So is it wise for me to do the fast track course at able skills then go work with my friend for few months till I gain experience?

I would always do collage and training (eg an apprenticeship) like your friend said, you will struggle to get a job if you do decide to go down the fast track as you don't have any experience

Could you do night courses ?

I would always do collage and training (eg an apprenticeship) like your friend said, you will struggle to get a job if you do decide to go down the fast track as you don't have any experience

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the reply.

So do you reckon I start with a level 2 plumbing course in college?
What do I do after that as I am struggling to find any gas courses in college.

Also I will be training with my friend after I complete the course, wouldn’t this be sufficient?

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the reply.

So do you reckon I start with a level 2 plumbing course in college?
What do I do after that as I am struggling to find any gas courses in college.

Depends do you have any practical plumbing experience?

Also I will be training with my friend after I complete the course, wouldn’t this be sufficient?

Has he asked the company he's working for ?

I don’t think he has yet.

They might say no so I wouldn't pin all my things on him, don't put all your eggs in one basket

Hi A workman should able to carry out the work he is undertaking to do, in accordance with all the relevant rules that apply to the work in question. But I find that very few are capable of doing so, there work dose not come up to the minimum standard required. Most inspectors accept the work, but should not, maybe they do not know the rules.
I remember my college days, when a class tutor was being corrected consistently by a student who was training to be a building inspector. I wished at times I could shut him up, but he was right. He quoted the relevant rules that applied to point out to the Tutor he was wrong. The same person went on to be head of that department where he worked. I think the minimum standard to be a gas safe/ heating engineer is to have served a full apprenticeship in that trade and passed all the relevant exams, and just hope he gets it right, most of the time. By the way can I fast track to become gas safe engineer, well qualified on paper but not in practice.

Donald Trump fast tracked to the U.S President job.
He was good at what he used to do,, allegedly..
And new the theory.

I rest my case.

Donald Trump fast tracked to the U.S President job.
He was good at what he used to do,, allegedly..
And new the theory.

I rest my case.
I agree with you snowhead re apprenticeship and qualifications, fast track should not be accepted to practice any trade or profession. by the way who gave you that name. Time will tell whether he is right or wrong, he has made a fortune, so he must be doing something right, I wished I had been clever enough to mass the fortune he has, do you not agree.

I agree with you snowhead re apprenticeship and qualifications, fast track should not be accepted to practice any trade or profession. by the way who gave you that name. Time will tell whether he is right or wrong, he has made a fortune, so he must be doing something right, I wished I had been clever enough to mass the fortune he has, do you not agree.
This is of course just your own individual personal opinion. Mine is that there is nothing wrong with fast track. But once you have passed your course you are still learning and you will still have to be willing to jump through hoops to prove your worth. If you are doing it for quick money, do not bother. But if you want a profession then stick with it.

This is of course just your own individual personal opinion. Mine is that there is nothing wrong with fast track. But once you have passed your course you are still learning and you will still have to be willing to jump through hoops to prove your worth. If you are doing it for quick money, do not bother. But if you want a profession then stick with it.
I must admit I like people who try to improve themselves, personally I would employ him under supervision to ensure he did not get out of his depth. I have worked with fast tracked workmen in the past, they do not have the same skills as a apprentice trained employee and should be paid as a trainee. I have had to put there work right, when I was on the tools, the employer has to pay for the job being done twice, how many employers today would do that.

I must admit I like people who try to improve themselves, personally I would employ him under supervision to ensure he did not get out of his depth. I have worked with fast tracked workmen in the past, they do not have the same skills as a apprentice trained employee and should be paid as a trainee. I have had to put there work right, when I was on the tools, the employer has to pay for the job being done twice, how many employers today would do that.
A fast track engineer should start his role as a service only engineer. Then as he get used to appliances should be trained as a breakdown engineer. Everyone deserves a chance especially people that already have a family and want to get a trade but cannot afford to have 2 years off work.

A fast track engineer should start his role as a service only engineer. Then as he get used to appliances should be trained as a breakdown engineer. Everyone deserves a chance especially people that already have a family and want to get a trade but cannot afford to have 2 years off work.
I agree everyone should make an effort to find a job, I respect them for that, they are my kind of people

Why do you want to be gas safe?
Is it purely because you can get the qualification quickly?

I would imagine the fast track course teaches you gas safety, I don't imagine it will teach you how to fit a boiler, diagnose a fault, solder a joint etc

Hi,

I have no previous experience in plumbing or any trade, however I am interested in training as a gas safe engineer. I am looking to do the fast track gas safe engineer course with able skills. My friend who is now a gas safe engineer working for a company said he did a course with able skills few years back but it wasn’t the fast track one as it took him nearly 2 years to complete.

He is telling me to do the level 2 plumbing course in college for 1 year then move on to gas course but im limited on time as I need to get finished on the course and start working as soon as I can.

My friend is happy for me to accompany him and learn from him. So is it wise for me to do the fast track course at able skills then go work with my friend for few months till I gain experience?

Hi. I have done the level 2 fast track plumbing course at ableskills this year.

I had been working as what qualifies as a plumbers mate in a hospital for 6 months before I had my first able skills session.

I could and did practice pipe skills at work (mainly on the quiet night shifts) and learner the theory at home.
I would personally say it is a great way to do it, but only if u have some form of experience, don't rock up on the day and expect them to teach you it and you will just get it in a week or so.

I have to agree with many of the opinions on here which talk of people not meeting the regs. I have seen this too many times already and I'm new!
I strongly recommend goingwifh your friend for a bit first and learning the water regs.
I am off to take the water regs course at able skills next month as I personally feel this is important. Just my two cents
Cheers

Edd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ableskills fastrack gas safe engineer course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock