Search the forum,

Discuss Able Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jono1987

Hello all,

As some of you may know I am trying my hardest to get some volunteer hours with plumbers to up my chances of getting into plumbing as a career, either through an apprenticeship or just buiding up enough experience.

Anyway, all plumbers i have spoke to have said that i should just try and gain as much experience as possible and that will help me, well im thinking of taking a short course to help me become more employable as a volunteer if that makes sense.

Now, this course is not a fast track 6129 and I will not do it and expect a plumber to send me out on his behalf to fit a bathroom nor will i think that i have suddenly become a plumbing machine that can tackle any problem thrown at me.

BUT

Able skills do an intensive basic plumbing and advanced DIY plumbing 5 day course. There is theory involved but they teach a lot of practical skills to make you competent in DIY plumbing such as fitting a bathroom, replacing radiators or fitting trv's etc, pipe bending, soldering and the usual everyday things. Im hoping that if I can at least get to a level where i am confident doing DIY it will show effort to learn and that i am serious, it will also give me a foundation to build on as a volunteer.

Have any of you been on any able skills course and what are they like ?

sorry to dampen your great spirit but I'm not convinced a 5 day course will help you get into the industry. its great that you strive to be a plumber but be careful not to spend a fortune on things that wont help

sorry to dampen your great spirit but I'm not convinced a 5 day course will help you get into the industry. its great that you strive to be a plumber but be careful not to spend a fortune on things that wont help

I dont think that it will get me into the industry straight away, more that if i have a basic knowledge its a little more knowledge than most trying to get in if that makes sense ? and as i said i would look to volunteer too. just so hard to get in the industry at the moment i am willing to explore all avenues !!! to be fair its ÂŁ400 so well worth paying in my opinion.

I know that some people will argue that plumbing industry isnt worth getting into at the minute but i disagree. Eventually when it does pick up and when it does I hope to be in training so i will be ahead of the rest in that respect, and it will pick up !! i read somewhere that by 2016 all new builds will have to have some form of renewable energy !! I dont expect wages of 50k just something mid 20's but that is fine, i am actually interested in plumbing and heating systems !!

I dont think that it will get me into the industry straight away, more that if i have a basic knowledge its a little more knowledge than most trying to get in if that makes sense ? and as i said i would look to volunteer too. just so hard to get in the industry at the moment i am willing to explore all avenues !!! to be fair its ÂŁ400 so well worth paying in my opinion.

I know that some people will argue that plumbing industry isnt worth getting into at the minute but i disagree. Eventually when it does pick up and when it does I hope to be in training so i will be ahead of the rest in that respect, and it will pick up !! i read somewhere that by 2016 all new builds will have to have some form of renewable energy !! I dont expect wages of 50k just something mid 20's but that is fine, i am actually interested in plumbing and heating systems !!

i wish you well. Just consider how many new people have entered the industry and therefore pretty much in the same boat as you. 48,000 have done the 6129 of which 8,000 have done the 6089 NVQ. In other words around 20% at best who have trained are working as plumbers. If you know these stats and still wish to enter than i hope it works out for you

i wish you well. Just consider how many new people have entered the industry and therefore pretty much in the same boat as you. 48,000 have done the 6129 of which 8,000 have done the 6089 NVQ. In other words around 20% at best who have trained are working as plumbers. If you know these stats and still wish to enter than i hope it works out for you

The stats dont put me off to be honest, they are just figures on a piece of paper and stats are there to be changed. Im confident hardwork will get me places.

I also think those stats are not to be taken to serious in respect of considering why they read as they do e.g you have to take into consideration that some may have taken the 6129 for DIY reasons only, some may have been forced to do some study as part of unemploymnet, there will be others who have done it simply because they couldnt find anything better to do. Some may have read the stories of 50k per year and gave up when they didnt make a large earning instantly, poor teaching from fast courses that promised the world but give nothing. and then, of course there are people that think plumbing is for them and it turns out not to be their bag. When all things considered i dont think there is too much to that statistic although it is still very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Able Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock