Search the forum,

Discuss A small charity looking for volunteer plumbing help in East London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for Spitalfields City Farm in E1 and we are a local community farm in a very deprived area of East London. We do a lot of educational work with the local community about animals and healthy lifestyles. We are a welcome open community space much loved by all who visit. We have three toilets with macerators which keep breaking and getting blocked with the amount of visitors we have to the farm and as a very small charity we are struggling to pay professional fees. We need help! If you are interested in helping us please (PM me for contact details) in return we can advertise your services and of course you get to play with the pigs and bunnies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck in your search Emily however people who know the inner workings of macerators are thin on the ground so to speak.

Unblocking them is fairly easy - I know how to do it - the last plumber showed me and there are tutorials online - I also installed a new one - but I'm not always here. We have other plumbing jobs often - the last was replacing some push fit piping in our tea hut that was leaking after not being used over the winter season. I was really looking for anyone who would be willing to help out with those kind of things generally as well.

Unblocking them is fairly easy - I know how to do it - the last plumber showed me and there are tutorials online - I also installed a new one - but I'm not always here. We have other plumbing jobs often - the last was replacing some push fit piping in our tea hut that was leaking after not being used over the winter season. I was really looking for anyone who would be willing to help out with those kind of things generally as well.

I got recently stuck with a blockage and I have to say that was not easy at all. Wet wipes blocked the whole engine and blocked the 22 mm pipe completely. Wrong installed pipework all bends in 90' so I was quite wet once tried cleaning.
I cannot say it's always easy to clean them and especially not the nicest job. I would not mind coming around helping out but would expect a little bit of money.
Maybe not the usual charge but a little would be great. We appreciate to get a free advertisement but I think no one would like to clean them for free.

I know it's not always easy - I'm just learning and it was easy that time and not a pleasant job so apologies for my mistake. I hope I'm not being offensive by asking for free - if you don't ask you don't get but any help would be greatly appreciated - a reduced rate would be fantastic! Would you maybe come down and meet my manager Mhairi sometime?

PM me for contact details

Last edited by a moderator:
Emily, when you retrieve the gold earrings, lacy knickers, false teeth, sunglasses etc etc do you try and reunite them with their owners? ;)

I was told on a course don't clean a macerator as it is full of liquefied you know what, just replace it.
As your a charity perhaps if you have handymen with a strong stomach you could get a plumber to show them how to clean it even if you have to pay the plumber to show them.

I know it's not always easy - I'm just learning and it was easy that time and not a pleasant job so apologies for my mistake. I hope I'm not being offensive by asking for free - if you don't ask you don't get but any help would be greatly appreciated - a reduced rate would be fantastic! Would you maybe come down and meet my manager Mhairi sometime? You could email her on [email protected] or give me a ring on 0207 247 8762?

I also would recommend to put a sticker onto the toilet to avoid throwing things down the drain which shouldn't go in there :)

I'm quite happy to clean them myself - we have invested in the expensive descaler from the manufacturer and taught myself to fix them myself but still looking for a better solution! just intalled an access saniflo (can't rememeber exact name) and will see how that goes! I can't be available all week tho and they are keen to just
get a pool of peeps to ask if needed - it cost us the equivelent of 30 hours of staff time to call out the last plummer ( for an hour) who showed me how to do it but told me the macerator was basically ******** which cost another £300 something to buy so I just installed it myself

we have put up so many notices and STILL PEOPLE put nappies down there - we even strapped notices to the lid! It is such a frustrating problem and we don't know what else to do. I just need a bit of help with this

we have put up so many notices and STILL PEOPLE put nappies down there - we even strapped notices to the lid! It is such a frustrating problem and we don't know what else to do. I just need a bit of help with this
You want to leave a bin next to it that nappies can go into. And make sure that's emptied often so people don't need to throw them anywhere else.

I was told on a course don't clean a macerator as it is full of liquefied you know what, just replace it.
As your a charity perhaps if you have handymen with a strong stomach you could get a plumber to show them how to clean it even if you have to pay the plumber to show them.

Sounds like a sales course tbh. This sort of bull is what gets macerators a bad name for reliability.

I'm quite happy to clean them myself - we have invested in the expensive descaler from the manufacturer and taught myself to fix them myself but still looking for a better solution! just intalled an access saniflo (can't rememeber exact name) and will see how that goes! I can't be available all week tho and they are keen to just
get a pool of peeps to ask if needed - it cost us the equivelent of 30 hours of staff time to call out the last plummer ( for an hour) who showed me how to do it but told me the macerator was basically ******** which cost another £300 something to buy so I just installed it myself

Top tip; There is another brand of descaler (White bottle with Blue writing), costs 50% less and is just as good. Best used by switching power off and left to work overnight or longer if possible.

Feel your pain Emily, Joe Public can be a real pain in the butt, you could wallpaper the room with warning stickers and they would still do it.
As said previously a large tank with twin motors is your best bet but that is not fool proof to the ignorant.

Sounds like a sales course tbh. This sort of bull is what gets macerators a bad name for reliability.

It was a short plumbing course no sales stuff, I have never worked on a macerator but as I only do DIY plumbing and minor stuff at work I imagine fitting a new one would be the easiest and most profitable option for a few people.

It was a short plumbing course no sales stuff, I have never worked on a macerator but as I only do DIY plumbing and minor stuff at work I imagine fitting a new one would be the easiest and most profitable option for a few people.

Certainly the easiest, not the most profitable by a long chalk unless you are buying the £89 pumps this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A small charity looking for volunteer plumbing help in East London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock