Search the forum,

Discuss A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Derrick the suspense is killing us, how did you get on today?

Is your customer a happy chappy yet?

Come on Derrick the suspense is killing us, how did you get on today?

Is your customer a happy chappy yet?

I couldnt do buggerall, the chippies router busted, and he cant cut the hole for the sink and I couldnt even get close to any pipework

I went in the bathroom though, the dam tissue was dry and still no puddles, I disconnected the cold tail on the bath and put the gauge on, reading 3.72 bar, and turned the water off, I will find out tomorrow if there is any drop in pressure (it didnt while I was there though)

I've got to admit, I'm looking forward to finding out what the issue is here. Keep us posted mate.

I've got to admit, I'm looking forward to finding out what the issue is here. Keep us posted mate.

When I got there I half expected everyone on this thread to be there, just to see what was going on with it and laugh at me :):):)

THE INTRIGUE AND SUSPENSE IS WORTHY OF AN HITCH COCK MOVIE. Sorry about the capitals.

That is one scary avatar croppie!! You look a wee bit maaaaad in the heeed!!

So Derrick you can see all of the pipework from the meter to the services? There isnt anywhere that you cant see? Im just baffled how this is happening...there has to be a leak somewhere...and theres a lot of people on here who want to know where it is haha

So Derrick you can see all of the pipework from the meter to the services? There isnt anywhere that you cant see? Im just baffled how this is happening...there has to be a leak somewhere...and theres a lot of people on here who want to know where it is haha

Not quite from the meter, but from the main SC (no 1) in the house, and then from SC 2 which goes to the bathroom, just feeding the cold side of both the HB and bath, then the WC

here is an update :)

I got there and still cant put the kitchen sink in, this chippy hasnt cut the hole for the sink yet (his router died)

I went up in the bathroom expecting the worse, the pressure gauge had dropped .2 of a bar, not much at all, I thought, the meter was still turning though, but still slowly

So it hasnt got any better or any worse, but I cant understand why the meter is still turning and I have lost so little pressure

Bit of an anti climax, isnt it ?

Still no closer to solving this :(

Anti climax ain,t the word , i feel more deflated than watching 44" chest lol , at least you know for sure that you do not have a leak ! now you need to look at the incoming main or get the board out and show them it must be a dicky meter

Anti climax ain,t the word , i feel more deflated than watching 44" chest lol , at least you know for sure that you do not have a leak ! now you need to look at the incoming main or get the board out and show them it must be a dicky meter

I had the guy out before, he said the meter was fine (how he knows without having it dug up I dont know) he said it only moves when water flows, well it was still moving and I still had pressure (for over 24 hours, standing pressure) so something is wrong somewhere

Im sure i read somewhere that if some drunk youths walked by in the night and decided it would be funny to smash up the meter face (assuming its external) that the water board would replace the meter. wink wink.......

Im sure i read somewhere that if some drunk youths walked by in the night and decided it would be funny to smash up the meter face (assuming its external) that the water board would replace the meter. wink wink.......

That would only happen if the plumber left the cover up and they used something from all the rubble outside, though

I suppose I had better start leaving the cover down in case that happens :confused::confused::confused:

Don't think they have to be drunk.

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and wondered how long it would be before someone suggested changing the meter. I'm dontknowitall on purpose but I think you've done enough to try an eliminate all the other possibilities.

One other thought I had was to cut the house pipework as near the meter as you can and pop a stop end on the incoming mains (then check the meter then re-solder). I'm intrigued now as to what the answer is - hope you tell us after nine pages of this!!

Don't think they have to be drunk.

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and wondered how long it would be before someone suggested changing the meter. I'm dontknowitall on purpose but I think you've done enough to try an eliminate all the other possibilities.

One other thought I had was to cut the house pipework as near the meter as you can and pop a stop end on the incoming mains (then check the meter then re-solder). I'm intrigued now as to what the answer is - hope you tell us after nine pages of this!!

As much as I would like to, the poly is underground, from the meter until it comes up in the kitchen, then there is about 6 inches to the first SC

And you said with valve no.1 (main sc) closed the meter stops.......... which kinda negates stopends on the mdpe..... can't be the mixer hot tap letting back into the cold supply cos you're running a combi and what you would have there is a loop, which once it was up to pressure the meter would stop running........ no leaks, no major pressure drop........

hmmmmmmmmmmm............

Old Balvenie time methinks.......... and another day pondering someone elses problem rather than my own!

Oh. And thanks for all your messages about me handsome visage.

I love you all too.............

I Think............

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Thought of another one!

What leg is the heating filler loop sitting on? What pressure is the heating system at? Is the fill valve letting by and throwing water out the PRV?

Croppie's like a dog with a bone on this one! LOL. Good thunking though mate.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Thought of another one!

What leg is the heating filler loop sitting on? What pressure is the heating system at? Is the fill valve letting by and throwing water out the PRV?

sorry, that is fed from SC 2, the only bit that is a suspect leak is from SC 3

You know what it is now don't you Derrick! you're on the windup now lol

Fair one, I'd do the same!

You know what it is now don't you Derrick! you're on the windup now lol

Fair one, I'd do the same!

I wish I was,

The gauge has shown very little drop in pressure, the meter is still turning (AND I still cant get the sink finished)

The cold feed to the bath has a gauge fitted, the hand basin cold tap is off, the WC is on, and the cistern is full

could you put a dye in the cistern to see if its is passing? there wouldnt be any chance that the water is just drying up? no de-humidifiers or anything?:confused:

sounds like a nightmare

have you isolated the cold feed to the boiler with all the stopcocks open and then checked the meter for movement? with a water meter fitted the expantion in the dhw pipe could pin hole the plate hex, with out a mini expansion vessel fitted inthe cold feed pipe to take up the expation of the dhw it could leak mains water into the heating circuit exiting out of the prv or down the condensate,just isolate cold feed to check?? long shot i know but hey, were all trying with an headline like "a real brain teaser,its got me beat"

Hey derrick hows about you disconnect everything on the sc3 leg and cap off , then check the flammin meter and if it still moves get a shotgun out. lol

I have to say thats the first thing i would have done, cut the pipe and cap it off. All this umming and arring about what it might be is ridiculous, just disconnect it and start again.

Hey derrick hows about you disconnect everything on the sc3 leg and cap off , then check the flammin meter and if it still moves get a shotgun out. lol

OR have you ballafixes on the drawoffs on SC3, you probably have already but turn them all off and see what happens.

OR have you ballafixes on the drawoffs on SC3, you probably have already but turn them all off and see what happens.

I have the ballafixes off on the WC and the HB, I got a gauge on the bath tap pipe, meter still moving, no drop in pressure (well there was, but not now) holding steady, got to wait till Monday for WB to look at meter, AGAIN

I have to say thats the first thing i would have done, cut the pipe and cap it off. All this umming and arring about what it might be is ridiculous, just disconnect it and start again.

Its new pipe, going to the bathroom, there is no leak that I can find, no wet bits, no puddles, the meter is still moving,:(

(unfortunately, the glass is broken, I think a bit of brick rubble may have fallen down there, someone left the cover up :confused: , werent any of you lot was it ? just to see the end of this thread )

... just to see the end of this thread )

Hehe - you're not the only one!!! Taking up far too much of my time this! Hope it's sorted soon. Perhaps you could print out all this stuff and give it to the WB?

Hehe - you're not the only one!!! Taking up far too much of my time this! Hope it's sorted soon. Perhaps you could print out all this stuff and give it to the WB?

I'm taking my laptop on Monday, and going to show him this lot, the worst thing is, he isnt a plumber, just an inspector, been doing it 30 odd years, and I am hoping he is going to advise me on this :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock