Search the forum,

Discuss A rad that just won't heat.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've joined the forum hoping that someone can help me out, and give some advice on how to get a radiator to heat up. I have a closed circuit heating system, that is served by aconventional Worcester 24i boiler, running 10 radiators. It's on 15mm pipe and the install is about 8 years old.

In the summer I completed a bathroom renovation and due to enlarging the size another rad was needed and the original replaced with a larger one too. From the original pipes that fed the double paneled rad, I diverted one to the large 1200 x 600 towel radiator, a run of approximately 8 meters in total then fed it back to the new replacement rad. This is a double panel oval tube that can be mounted horizontal or vertical, it's mounted horizontally, connected up the other original pipe which was very close and filled the system to check for leaks.

Moving on to the cold weather and the heating going on... and the radiator in the lounge wouldn't heat up. At first I thought it was just trapped air so I tried bleeding all the rads, some air, but no success. I then tried to balance the system due to the new bigger rads, as I thought that this maybe the problem... no success, so I turned all the other rads off to try and force the water to it... you've guessed it...no luck.
Since then, I've drained the system from both drain points, refilled it numerous times and initially, although it takes a long time, it'll heat up, and stay working until the heating clicks off. When the heating comes back on.... nothing, just a cold rad.

I've called a plumber in, who although enthusiastic, didn't seem to know a great deal. He drained the system, changed the TRV on the problem rad and bled the system... same again, it lasted whilst the heating was on...then nothing, stone cold.

I've now changed that valve to another with a drain on it and drained it from there, even refilled the system from that point, opposed to the filling loop to attempt to push any air out, with exactly the same result. Warms up to start with...then doesn't work again. When bleeding the rad it does appear to have lower pressure from the vent screw.

I'm really struggling with it and I can't get a plumber to attend, as when I'm asked what's wrong....I tell them, and everything that I've tried. Then they reply that I've already done everything that they would and I'd be throwing money away. But there must be something I'm doing wrong, or have done wrong as it worked before.

I do still get air in the system which makes me think that it's an airlock somewhere and is causing the water to siphon back, then when the system starts back up it can't feed the rad. Does that make sense?? Which means I'm refilling or bleeding it wrong I guess. Also, downstairs has concrete floors so the pipes to the rads run up into the ceiling and then drop to the rad, I don't know the runs though so there could be a horse shoe in the system, which I've read can be problematic.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
John.
A very perplexed man.

Have you tried turning all rads down apart from the ones which doesnt work? You will force the heat just through the rads which dont work.

Perhaps you have got a Balancing issue if they work fine.

Sometimes you need to close both side at the radiator and and attach a flexible hose with to get rid of the air in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A rad that just won't heat.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock