Search the forum,

Discuss a.c.s by training in college in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello is it possible to get your a.c.s by training in college without a portfolio ive just gained my tech cert nvq next . im very scepticle cheers

Yes

There is a foundation gas course running in at least one Glasgow college.

Al

for gods sake the foundation gas course does not allow new entrants to take their acs
the foundation gas courses are designed to give the basics in gas safety that then enables you to then build your portfolio out there doing gas work yes that means actual gas work using your eyes brain and hands
do you really think sitting in a classroom is sufficient to go out there working on gas
unless you are a cat 1 entrant who is able to show they have worked in the gas industry then you will need an engineer and get out there doing gas work and build a portfolio
there are no shortcuts and nor should there be

got to agree with newbie, im starting my gas foundation course in september and need a portfolio of 23 jobs, wich i can gain because i work with a gsr, but if you aint got no one to work with the gas foundation course is worth zilch.

Recently after speaking with the college, I was told you go out on the "district" with a registered guy to gain portfolio.

SO YES IS MY ANSWER

Al

Recently after speaking with the college, I was told you go out on the "district" with a registered guy to gain portfolio.

SO YES IS MY ANSWER

Al

hello is it possible to get your a.c.s by training in college without a portfolio ive just gained my tech cert nvq next . im very scepticle cheers

did you actually follow the question alan?.
and to clarify, i very much doubt they will supply you with a g.s.r.i.:confused:

Dear god i dread people working on gas who cant even figure out how to get qualified
1/to work on gas safely you need to work with a gsr engineer for as long as possible
2/do not look at the minimum no of jobs required for a portfolio as sufficient to get a job as a gsr engineer
3/unless you have been working with a company doing gas work you are going to need a portfolio of evidence plus a gas foundation course
4/there are no short cuts to being a safe engineer
5/do not believe the hype you might just might get lucky and secure a job at the end of it if not self employed is not easy as you have noone to turn to when you go to your first job and havnt a clue what to do
6/without contacts in the trade you will struggle to earn enough to pay for tools/van and insurance

these are the facts of life the training companies wont tell you

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with comments regarding, there is no quick/easy way to become gas registered.

I simply answered the question posted, in an honest and factual manner.

I know of at least 2 people who have been on the course at "Cardonald college", Glasgow.

It actually worries me that these 2 guys arent people who i would like to work on gas appliances in my house, but they are registered on the GAS SAFE website.

regards
Alan

I agree with comments regarding, there is no quick/easy way to become gas registered.

I know of at least 2 people who have been on the course at "Cardonald college", Glasgow.

It actually worries me that these 2 guys arent people who i would like to work on gas appliances in my house, but they are registered on the GAS SAFE website.

regards
Alan

Alan get us some more info on what course these 2 guys sat, it is a mandatory requirement to have a portfolio to be put forward for ACS assessment, if you dont have previous gas experience, i know Cardonald very well and would think it unlikely they would allow someone to do a gas course without a portfolio as their certification body (CITB) would need proof of it, i work in South Lanarkshire College in East Kilbride and we do the bpec Gas Foundation course which requires a 10 week placement which we organise for everybody, to complete portfolio

today i watched a guy do a spillage test on the fire of a baxi bbu, he turned the fire off as it was too hot sitting in front of it, "it will be hot enough now anyway" was his comment, he rmoved a radiant to do the spillage test as "they sometimes fail when you test them from the wee spillage test spigot at the side", this from a guy who has being doing gas for about 12-14 years and is negligent, so it isnt all about the new guys making mistakes, i have trained a few guys from the electronics industry who design and work on multi million pound machinery, are you saying they cant service an old OF boiler, it is sometimes down to them having a will to learn, commitment, and far more intelligence than i ever will have

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to a.c.s by training in college in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock