Search the forum,

Discuss A bit of help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russ79

Hi, I have been reading through a lot of post's and I have come to the conclusion that the faster training course route is possibly not the correct one.

bit about me, I'm 37 years old and have been in the building industry for 20 years started as a labour at 16 and ended up site agent doing full builds. My wife started her own business so I had to step back to look after kids etc, I joined the fire service as a retained fire fighter which I love. I all ways fancied becoming a plumber but being the breadwinner for my family it was never possible!!

now I'm looking at training to become a plumber, but I only have 2 days a week off, and I have a placement with a plumbing contractor who has worked as a subcontractor with our company for years ( doing developments) for work as and when I need it/or can do it.. to help me get through my NVQlevel 2 portfolio.

so my question is what would be the best path to go down as in training.. as I still need to bring in money but also want to gain as much experience as possible. That's is why the crash course appealed to me as I can get through the training quite quickly and then work along side experienced trades men to develop my skills. I do have a lot of experience in plumbing as I had to control the trades on large scale developments and also I have renovated 6 houses and gone all the plumbing myself other than gas..

Thank you
Russ

site agents get more than plumbers do they not ?

It depends on the size of the company you work for, as the company I worked for only had between 12 and 30 staff and sub contracted out the work. Not to mention the pressure and hours away from home. But forgetting all that the company ceased trading at the back end of the recession. Which is when my wife started her business and I joined the fire service. I worked for the same company since I left school and would not go back in to the management side again, which is why I want to retrain as a plumber.

So would I, I'm only retained doing for the love not for the money... tried to get whole time several times it's so hard as there is thousands of applicants for a handful of jobs. And I've got to be realistic and can't wait in hope.
But it's the most satisfying job I have ever done!

Could you not work full time with the company offering you a placement as a plumbers mate and gain your qualification at night school?
I'm a W/T FF and work on my days off and during the day when I'm on nights. My problem is I'm never at home.

There is so many options, but I really don't want to quit the service. I cover 4 days and couple of nights, so was trying to squeeze everything in my down time!
Was looking at the quick course and get my portfolio done while getting more experience 2 - 3 days a week. But collage will take me forever ( I would love to be able to spend 2-3 years doing it the correct way) and I can't find any night schools near me..
But what you are saying is probably the best way in the long run. Something got to give

There is so many options, but I really don't want to quit the service. I cover 4 days and couple of nights, so was trying to squeeze everything in my down time!
Was looking at the quick course and get my portfolio done while getting more experience 2 - 3 days a week. But collage will take me forever ( I would love to be able to spend 2-3 years doing it the correct way) and I can't find any night schools near me..
But what you are saying is probably the best way in the long run. Something got to give

The most important thing to do is to complete your portfolio and gain your qualification however you choose to do it.
You can alter your cover to evenings and weekends, Once you have the qualification you'll be to busy to offer day cover anyway.
Don't give up trying for W/T either.

That was the plan to be honest, slowly shift to nights as work picked up. I come from a building background which will help me on the course, but I've read so many bad things about them.
Have been given a name and number off the plumbing company to speak to the college to see what they can do for me. That will help me decide which way to go regarding training course.
Unfortunately the w/t have but restrictions on the entry leaves in regards to GCSES which buys me out of the running. Spoke to my station manager he's made some enquiries and it looks like it might be a permanent requirement, even when only recruiting from retained. But if they drop it I will go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A bit of help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock