Discuss Where oh where is this air coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Help please.

My heating system at home is hardly an urgent issue. That said, I've had to admit defeat on how on earth air is getting in! Any ideas welcome.

The original pipework on this system was a bit messy and there were some redundant runs, but basically sound as far as I can see. There were points where the flow from the boiler to the vent dropped below horizontal, but I think I have got rid of these. Air has been a problem for some time, and a year ago I removed some of the bad and obsolete pipework and re-plumbed it in a more rational way. This has helped to some degree.

There is no evidence of leakage on the system that I have seen.

The boiler is 25' horizontal distance from the close coupled vent arrangement. System is a Y plan with heat only boiler on ground floor, horizontal(ish) primary runs in first floor void to close coupled vent arrangement and 3 port valve in airing cupboard on first floor. The heating and DHW returns merge just before the Magnaclean, and I have fitted the Magnaclean above this confluence so that the Magnaclean is accessible and so it acts as the highest point on the return (doubling as an air vent point).

Boiler (Potterton Netaheat Profile 40e) kettles badly, and probably needs descaling. Every time I run the boiler, there is air in the Magnaclean which I bleed out. There is air in the Magnaclean even if I leave the system to cool before bleeding the air, so that rules out it being steam. The air does not appear to be hydrogen. The air is only present if the system has been run. System was refilled with fresh inhibitor 3 months ago (after trying out the efficacy of MC3 cleaner) and has been bled several times a week since, so this surely must be new air, not residual from filling! Quantity is probably about a teaspoon of air for every time I heat the cylinder up.

I'm clutching at straws now. Could the possible bubbles of steam passing the vent be somehow dragging in air? Could they be dragging in air through a micro-weep somewhere hidden? Could the boiler heat exchanger be letting in air somehow if a seal is defective? Could the compression unions on the boiler tails be letting in air?

I spend £300 a year on gas, so the idea of buying a new efficient boiler and replumbing the entire system has limited appeal. I'm not so much worried about curing the problem as understanding what is wrong... but curing the problem would be nice.

Thank you if you are still reading :)

Ric

DSCI0017.JPG

DSCI0020.JPG

DSCI0021.JPG

Last edited:
What speed is your pump on? ... if it's on 3 then turn it down to 2 on an open vent system, also you could try fitting an air separator above the pump that has connections for flow, return, vent and cold feed, i think myson used to make them.

Thanks GH77, It's a Grundfos UPS2 pump. It is set to Proportional Pressure Speed 3 (PP3). It was on PP1, but I changed it to PP3 for some reason I no longer remember. PP1 and PP3 are both slower than speed 1 on the old-fashioned UPS pump. I was given the new pump for free, so I thought I may as well fit it; there was already an air problem prior to this.

By an air separator, I take it you mean the tin-can type: Air Separator 22mm - Toolstation ? Are these any better than the standard H-type close-coupled arrangement? I've never met anyone who has actually fitted one, hence my question. I'm still hoping I can stop the air getting in in the first case, if I can only work out where...

I've fitted them when open vent used to be more common, can't see that I could hurt and way cheaper than replacing your boiler ... looks a slightly different design to the Myson one I used to use ... if you wait though i'm sure some of the guys on here will give you their thoughts on air separators and your air issue :)

can you try to combine feed and vent pipe. maybe just temporarily to see if that will have any effect? cant see any issue with the drawing. I had similar problem in the past when pump was set too fast so turning from 3 to 2 solved the problem then.

Can you pressure test the system? My vote seal the system

Any hydrogen smells from ANY radiator
I tested for hydrogen using a glass over the vent on the Magnaclean and a cigarette lighter. The glass did not appear to contain a flammable gas.
Radiators on this system do not seem to need bleeding, so unable to perform this test on them. What does hydrogen smell like? I thought it was odourless?

Put a clear bag with some water in and zip tie/ elastic band it on
Good plan. I have tried a glass of water below it and it didn't suck any air in, but your suggestion sounds safer than a cap, thanks. For the record, the system is almost silent if run without the boiler. Only once the boiler starts to warm up do I get kettling and the trickling sounds associated with pipework that isn't full of water.

Check the feed isn't block as well

Vent a rad / bucket under mag and does the tank run ?

I tested for hydrogen using a glass over the vent on the Magnaclean and a cigarette lighter. The glass did not appear to contain a flammable gas.
Radiators on this system do not seem to need bleeding, so unable to perform this test on them. What does hydrogen smell like? I thought it was odourless?

Rotten eggs pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where oh where is this air coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back