Search the forum,

Discuss 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
not strictly true fuzzy, you do not need just to be on an apprenticeship to get on the course, i for one am not on an apprenticeship and wont be when i start the course in september, i am self employed but have constant work with a gsr/plumber wich enables me to start the course.

not strictly true fuzzy, you do not need just to be on an apprenticeship to get on the course, i for one am not on an apprenticeship and wont be when i start the course in september, i am self employed but have constant work with a gsr/plumber wich enables me to start the course.

oh i see, i would still consider it an apprenticeship of sorts as you will get the sam etraining and evidence from the process

This is all quite confusing. Does anyone know what will happen if I join a 6129 course before december? Can I complete the whole course and carry out domestic plumbing legally after if I dont manage to find an employer for the NVQ 2?

once registered on a programme you are ok, december is the last date of registration not completion.
you dont need anything to be work as a plumber 6129 or nvq. to be a plumber the industry recognises nvq3 as the main standard

Thanks fuzzy. So say I completed 6129, where would I go from there as I'm not sure wether NVQ2 will still even exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting a load of contradictory info about the changes to the courses from my local colleges so I emailed C&G. Here’s the reply I got:

Thank you for contacting City & Guilds Customer Relations.

The new 6189 is a hybrid qualification that combines both the technical certificate and the NVQ. It consists of: knowledge based units assessed by GOLA, combination units assessed by GOLA and in-centre practical tasks and work based units, assessed by portfolio of evidenced and a project.

Therefore, in order to achieve the full qualification the learner will have to pass also the work based units.

If a learner completes the 6129 and then decides to move on to 6189, they will need to take the 6189 work based units
Should you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact the Customer Relations team on 0844 543 0033.
Yours sincerely
Customer Relations Advisor
Customer Relations
UK Commercial
City & Guilds
1 Giltspur Street
London
EC1A 9DD
T: Centres +44 (0) 844 543 0000
T: Learner +44 (0) 844 543 0033
F: +44 (0) 207 294 2413

the work based units are effectively the NVQ and the other stuff the 6129, as they say its basically combined the 2, is this better?

Think once 6129 has finished then only apprentice route open - maybe bridging course to get on to diploma but wont be distance learning or part time

just a bit of an update for anyone wanting to know about the 6129.

had a 2 hour disscussion with the head of department tonight and to cut a long story short, the last registration date for the nvq(6089) has changed from the 31st of december 2010 to the 31st march 2011, there will be no way you can transfer what you have already done onto the new diploma(6189) so if you havnt got employment or someone with the correct quals there is no way you can complete the full level 2(6129&6089) or be accepted onto the new diploma which i am told will begin in january, also just to add the 6219 will be officially scrapped in june 2012 regardless of if you have finished the course or not.

hope this helps.

andy.

Andy

Heard roughly the same but think there may be bridging courses or something to help people who are half way through. Either way think the training providers will be severly hit as also any new course offered will have to be validated and be what people want.

not heard bout the registration being extended for the nvq? very odd, they run hand in hand

the tutor said last night that this was solid infomation, the last reg date for the nvq is 31st of march not the 31st of december, and there will be no bridging unit whatso ever, if you cant complete the nvq side of things you will have to start the diploma from scratch.

if i hear any more i will let you all know.

Hi All , well as i understand things.....the 6129 will still run untill 2012 but no new registrations are being taken, so if you are on this one you will have time to complete it . The full NVQ 6129 & 6089 are still being enrolled untill march 2011 and will run for the full length of the course i.e 2 years . im sure the same rules will remain in force for the 6089 ( you have 5 years to complete this from date of registration) so i am quite sure that if you only have the 6129 and get employed before march 2011 you will still have time to complete this . I know there are lots of plumbers signing up with colleges at the moment with just the 6129 rushing to get their 6089.
Colin

does anyone have a link to the new registration dates for the nvq please?

also, it was my understanding that you would be credited with your 6129 units against the new diploma, if this is now not the case it is a big big decision by summitskills!

fuzzy, when i go into college ile have a word with the tutor and ask him if he will allow me to post the info he recieved from summit skills/ city & guilds.

from what he said the other night summit skills are being very petty regarding the 6129&6089 and if it was up to them they would of scraped all together and just rolled out the new course, but things aren't always that simple as we all know.

the qual should have been out by now, thats not summitskils problem thats the awading bodys, ie C&G's. they get the criteria and then write the course. it is their fault they are behind, but trying to blame somebody else

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/48700.html"]December 2009: Plumbing (6089 and 6129)[/DLMURL]

this is the only info i can find on the registration dates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fuzzy where about up north are you ? i heard the same thing the 6129 is going to run until march 2011 from my college tutor.

yes it will run until 2011 but your mixing up registration dates and certification dates. obviously the certification date has to give time for people to acheive who have been registered. so the first date we must note is the registration date which as far as i am still aware is december 2010, the certification dates i think are 18months for the 6129 and 3 years for the 6089, but no NEW candidates can register

anyone give me a link to the new registration dates posted, i stil cannot find proof

fuzzy i am just waiting to get the info off the college tutor and will post on here, there is nothing on the websites regarding this issue as yet, what my tutor has is an update to trainning centres and colleges from city &guilds, as soon as i get it ile post for you 2 see, but from a students point of view we have to with what the tutors are telling us if that makes sense.

i saw an update today on the guilds website, said they are taking registrations until Marhc, still unclear if its funded till march, presume it is. for colleges it makes little diference as most groups start in september, theyll have to run the new one then anyway

So forgive me but are you saying that there is no point me signing up to a 6129 in the next few months as by time i complete it i will not be allowed to go self employed.
Also obtaining the 6089 will no longer be possible even though a mate who has a plumbing company was going to give me some work so i could complete my assessments.
I don't want to fork out 5k+ for nothing.

you may be able to use the 6129 to contribute towards the new diploma if your mate takes you on.

why does getting a 6129 or not have to do with going self employed? the 6129 isnt a full qualificTION BUT MEANT TO BE A STEPPING STONE TO THE NVQ. hit caps lock! you can go self employed plumbing with no quals

I have spoke with Trade Qualified and they say the 6129-02 / 6022 & 6032 are being incorporated into one, these are all part of the PPC2 offered by them so your coursework etc will all change with it.
Should i still go with these i have seen various other threads/posts where people have said the paperwork was not complete, whereas others have raved about it, i suppose you get good and bad in everything i just don't want the bad. I am close to starting so advice is really important whether to go with them or not, they have even invited me to their workshop to see where i would be doing my in house training ATL in southampton, which can't be a bad thing.

dont know the 6022 and 6032, sound like the pipework copper tube courses that are not full quals anyway. what i think they mean is that the 6129 and 6089 is being merged inot one diploma. you still need work to get through and yes this will come into affect from November although registration on old/current courses are valid until April 2011 and you have about 2 years to complete.

Hope this helps you mate, anything else i can help with?

dont know the 6022 and 6032, sound like the pipework copper tube courses that are not full quals anyway. what i think they mean is that the 6129 and 6089 is being merged inot one diploma. you still need work to get through and yes this will come into affect from November although registration on old/current courses are valid until April 2011 and you have about 2 years to complete.

Hope this helps you mate, anything else i can help with?

The 6022 is Domestic Copper Pipework Installation and the 6032 Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance & Design, they are being combined with the 6129-02 L2 Tech Certificate into one.
This is all ok if you want to be self employed but i agree you need to be employed to do the 6089 NVQ Level 2, which if i am right is being incorporated into a Diploma with the first mentioned qualification.
What that means to the 6129 on it's own i don't know.
Apparently it will still be recognized as a pre requisite should you want to go on and do the Diploma at a later date.

6032 and 6022 will probably be part of the 6129 anyway so dont see how they are merging them, sounds like they are just dropping all 3 along with the NVQ to make the diploma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock