Search the forum,

Discuss 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are we going to find out Fuzzy, Im due to do my short course this month and have my 6129 by june shall i enrol now to avoid the change or what m8.

When are we going to find out Fuzzy, Im due to do my short course this month and have my 6129 by june shall i enrol now to avoid the change or what m8.

if you are not employed in the sector you cannot do a course after this summer (if the new courses r ready that is) so it may be your only option to get a start if you sign straight away. if your signed on a course u can carry on with the course. just new entrants

your workplace recorder will be your assessor on the day, thats if you are self employed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little concerned with regards the 6129 cert that I am currently enrolled onto with and studying at OLCI Manchester on a part time basis. I have completed 2 of the workshops already and am due to sit the first assessment shortly. Is this qualification going to be worth anything at the end of the course or will it be a waste of 5.5K Would I be able to claim anything back?

I am a little concerned with regards the 6129 cert that I am currently enrolled onto with and studying at OLCI Manchester on a part time basis. I have completed 2 of the workshops already and am due to sit the first assessment shortly. Is this qualification going to be worth anything at the end of the course or will it be a waste of 5.5K Would I be able to claim anything back?

its a good qual for learning the skills but it isnt industry rcognised. you need the nvq2 at least for that, they may charge more for that. i think 5.5k is alot for a basic unrecognised qual but its your money

i think you paid 5.5 k for the 6129 TC and the 6089 nvq 2 if so yes carry on, get the TC out of the way and and then go on to gain your nvq 2. this is the minimal qual.

privately tech certs are available until december this year, so if your paying full cost you can still do the qual this year

I have just E-Mailed C&G customer relations. As follows:-

Hi, I'm starting a 6129 C&G level 2 in plumbing in September.
There seem to be rumours in the industry that this qualification is being phased out and i'm worried that it will be worthless in the future. Is it being replaced by a diploma? If so what will this mean for me?
Thanks in advance.
Regards
James Pemberton

They said they will reply within 2 days......will let you all know what they say!

thye will say, if this is at a private training provider, no problem. if its a college and you want to pay full cost no problem. if your expecting funding and you are starting in sep then you may not get to start, if it goes ahead as i am told then the funding for 6129 will stop in july this year. it dont matter if you pay full cost though, you have until decemebr 30th to start, and 18months to finish

thye will say, if this is at a private training provider, no problem. if its a college and you want to pay full cost no problem. if your expecting funding and you are starting in sep then you may not get to start, if it goes ahead as i am told then the funding for 6129 will stop in july this year. it dont matter if you pay full cost though, you have until decemebr 30th to start, and 18months to finish

This was their reply:

"this only affects new candidates, so you will not be affected in any way".

And that's it! Very Helpful! Not
:eek:

hi does anyone know when the college tutors are meeting with city and guilds to decide what is going on with 6129 replacement ? thanks

there no replaemnt for the 6129 mate, only the 6089 called the 6189
no tech cert replaceemnt only an nvq replacement

heard today that they may extend the funding for the current quals until december

i rang my college tutor today to get an update on the new course,

he has told me he is 98% sure the new framework wich we have all heard about will come into play in september, but until the goverment take there fingers out there a**e nothing STILL is certain.

on the funding side of things at my college there will be no funding for the course, unless you are in/on an approved apprenticeship.

also my college will not be doing a full time course only day realease course.

as always once i get more info i will post on here to let you all know.

i rang my college tutor today to get an update on the new course,

he has told me he is 98% sure the new framework wich we have all heard about will come into play in september, but until the goverment take there fingers out there a**e nothing STILL is certain.

on the funding side of things at my college there will be no funding for the course, unless you are in/on an approved apprenticeship.

also my college will not be doing a full time course only day realease course.

as always once i get more info i will post on here to let you all know.
cheers andy, is that a big change for your colege? which is it?

yes its a big difference, for as long as i can remember theres always been a a full time course, and with the other courses now not being funded leaves me in a prediciment(couldnt spell it if i tried) ive already forked out to start my gas course in september at a cost of ÂŁ800, then after ive completed that there's ÂŁ1500 + for my core and appliances, so whilst im getting regular gas work with the bloke im working with and someone who's teaching me the ropes do i stick with the gas course, and continue the plumbing next year, or just go for the plumbing, cant realyy do both cause it will cost me over 4k in total:confused:

yes its a big difference, for as long as i can remember theres always been a a full time course, and with the other courses now not being funded leaves me in a prediciment(couldnt spell it if i tried) ive already forked out to start my gas course in september at a cost of ÂŁ800, then after ive completed that there's ÂŁ1500 + for my core and appliances, so whilst im getting regular gas work with the bloke im working with and someone who's teaching me the ropes do i stick with the gas course, and continue the plumbing next year, or just go for the plumbing, cant realyy do both cause it will cost me over 4k in total:confused:

many people on here have said they are already on a 6129 from sep this year, not sure whats gonna happen there!!!!

many people on here have said they are already on a 6129 from sep this year, not sure whats gonna happen there!!!!

The 6129 tc and 6089 nvq are being replaced by curriculum qulaification framework (cqf) called the 6189. I have spoken to C&G at length about this and they said that the new 6189 is still in the development stage, and people will still be able to enrol on either the 6129 or 6089 until december 2010. People who start the 6129 will have 2 years to complete the course, and then instead of going on to do the 6089 nvq, they will start the new 6189 level 2. The new 6189 will be split into levels 1 and 2. Level 1 will be for people who have not done the 6129 tech cert and level 2 for people who have either 6129 level 2 or 6189 level 1.
As the new 6189 is a framework based qualification, anybody who has done the 6129 will have already covered all the framework modules of the new 6189 level 1, and will go on to do level 2 which is an nvq.

To do the new 6189 level 1, you do not need to be employed.
However to continue onto the level 2 you need a work placement.

Under the current set-up, a person can do the 6129 level 2 and then legally work as a plumber. With the new 6189, if you only do the level 1, which is basically the same as the current 6129, you will not be able to work in the industry.
The idea behind this is to stop people just doing the 6129 and then setting up on their own without doing the NVQ, with very little or no experience and a very basic qualification.

As for funding for the 6129 starting this September.....I don't know.

The 6129 tc and 6089 nvq are being replaced by curriculum qulaification framework (cqf) called the 6189. I have spoken to C&G at length about this and they said that the new 6189 is still in the development stage, and people will still be able to enrol on either the 6129 or 6089 until december 2010. People who start the 6129 will have 2 years to complete the course, and then instead of going on to do the 6089 nvq, they will start the new 6189 level 2. The new 6189 will be split into levels 1 and 2. Level 1 will be for people who have not done the 6129 tech cert and level 2 for people who have either 6129 level 2 or 6189 level 1.
As the new 6189 is a framework based qualification, anybody who has done the 6129 will have already covered all the framework modules of the new 6189 level 1, and will go on to do level 2 which is an nvq.

To do the new 6189 level 1, you do not need to be employed.
However to continue onto the level 2 you need a work placement.

Under the current set-up, a person can do the 6129 level 2 and then legally work as a plumber. With the new 6189, if you only do the level 1, which is basically the same as the current 6129, you will not be able to work in the industry.
The idea behind this is to stop people just doing the 6129 and then setting up on their own without doing the NVQ, with very little or no experience and a very basic qualification.

As for funding for the 6129 starting this September.....I don't know.

sorry mate but this post in inacurate

the 6189 is level 2 and level 3, there is no 6189 level 1 at all.
the new course is not a framework, a framework refers to an apprenticeship framework and includes functional skills along with the main qualification. It is however to be a unitised qual which is part of the new QCF as opposed to the old NQF it is replaceing. The 6189 wil be called a diploma but will probably still include the acronym NVQ so people recognise the brand. people with a 6129 level 2 can go onto the new 6189 level 3 if they complete the 2 on site units at level 2 first.

the issues are not around the registration dates of the qual but the funding, that is the key element

got a meeting with one of my tutuors in the morning regarding funding for the said course, ile get as much info as possible for everyone and post 2morrow evening.

im at a crucial stage myself too chaps, done both tecs 2/3 - (over 3 yrs at college)most of way through nvq2.....need to learn if therell be an nvq3 to go on to (got to get this done as im self employed- so no sponsored diploma for me!) - so ill be following the news from your meeting andy - cheers moore

hi lads well had the meeting with the tutor and bascially the new framework will come into play in september as ive stated before, and the day release course will get funding as will people in apprenticeships, this is at my college so dont know about others, also there will be no full time course at my college, the reason for this being to many people start the course and cant finish it due to not having work based evidence.

i did ask about funding regarding other colleges and from what he knows it should be the same across the board.

hope this helps.

i was told that the only courses are the diplomas which need you to be employed or at least get on site eveidnece to complete. without it you fail and therefore you cannot get funding for a course you cannot pass. this pretty much does away with all full time courses and leaves only apprenticeships

yes your right fuzzy, thats what i was implying (i think) been a long day, airlock hell:mad:

just to ad fuzzy its not only apprenticeships wich are eligible for funding, as long as you have an employer you should be ok.

thats what ive been told anyway mate

yes your right fuzzy, thats what i was implying (i think) been a long day, airlock hell:mad:

just to ad fuzzy its not only apprenticeships wich are eligible for funding, as long as you have an employer you should be ok.

thats what ive been told anyway mate

if you have an employer you will be put on an apprenticeship, regardless of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6129 TC'S Going? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock