Search the forum,

Discuss 31 year old career changer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Trainee plumber looking for hands on work
Hi all, my name is Chris and I have just taken the decision to train part time for a NVQ level 2&3 in plumbing. I'm told the course touches also on electronic installations like power showers etc and also on the use of gas in a boiler though I believe Corgi certification is separate. Window shopping at the moment for sorting my own tool set, any advice apriciated on that. I'm looking to get myself out there doing the simpler jobs as soon as I'm able, the course covers how to work out costing and etc so here's hoping it gets my life on track. Also congratulations if you was able to read this far without succumbing to boredom. :)

Hi chris and welcome ,,,,,,They dont do corgi anymore its Gassafe now whos the governing body,, dont rush into tools until you get your courses started and they will keep u right, just remember its not as simple as doing a course and boom your a plumber as experience is everything so see if you can become a plumbers mate at weekends or similar to gain a wee bit experience so u can identify whats being taught on the courses , otherwise its hard ,

I have changed my career in last year. I think everybody should have this opportunity and courage to be what he want to be. I don't regret. My family didn't support me when they heard I wish to be a plumber. But I want to do what I love.

Mine weren't that supportive of my career change either to be honest. They're a lot happier with it now they know how much you can earn from it!

I think there's a bit of snobbery in society about tradespeople. Personally, I don't care. We all come into the world the same way and go out the same way!

Mine weren't that supportive of my career change either to be honest. They're a lot happier with it now they know how much you can earn from it!

I think there's a bit of snobbery in society about tradespeople. Personally, I don't care. We all come into the world the same way and go out the same way!
Yes, there's a bit of snobbery in society. But like you I don't care anymore.

Hello there, I am also thinking about making a career change and it is great to find other people, who are on the same page and have successfully done so even if it is a bit later in life.

I have changed my career in last year. I think everybody should have this opportunity and courage to be what he want to be. I don't regret. My family didn't support me when they heard I wish to be a plumber. But I want to do what I love.

I am so happy for women like you, who pursue their dreams!

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone!

Mike

I was a late career changer too at @30
I've now been gas safe registered for nearly 3 years and haven't looked back.
Do it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise

I've also started a plumbing course at the age of 28, studying at home. The course is good but no amount of plumbing textbooks can substitute for hands on experience. I would love to take a job as a plumbers mate but it's seems to me that plumbers are only looking for experience mates.

That`s because people pay & train you then when you think you know it all you walk.

Ahh but surely it's mutually beneficial. You get the assistance you need and they learn trade skills. Or have I missed something? I mean wouldn't an experienced plumbers mate be more inclined to walk since they no more?

It may be beneficial in the long term, but definitely not short term. Taking a hit in productivity, double checking all the work etc.

Too much hassle when I have my own bills to pay.

Fair enough. I suppose not everyone has the time to be baby sitting the new guy... I figured I'd mess about with the plumbing in my house. It's not the same but it's a start.

From my experience, even the best apprentice will take about 6 months before they start becoming useful, I.E making you more productive than you would be on your own.

The sad fact of life is that small business owners who work on their own need to earn a lot of cash each day to make their plumbing businesses viable and aren't enough incentives out there to make it worthwhile them taking someone on.

Wow 6 months. Do you reckon working for no pay would be incentive enough to take on an apprentice?

I would happily give up 1 day a week to learn on the job, but would your typical plumber consider that worth the trouble?

I wish I could give up more time but I already work two jobs and have my two little girls to worry about.

I'm in the same boat. Currently studying for nvq level 2. Trying to gain work experience in and around my current job. Working weekends ect... the way I see it if your asking someone to show you the ropes and you know next to fa, you shouldn't be expecting to get paid. End of the day they are helping you out! Once I'm qualified and upto speed then id be looking to work for someone else. Anyone else taken this route?

I have started the NVQ 2 books, booking some practical training time also. It’s all going really well at the moment, I spoke to a plumber who recommended I work for a larger council first as I’ll build up a good general knowledge of things and be well looked after (not to say a solo trader wouldn’t). It’s just more secure I think he meant. I do eventually want to go out on my own once I’m confident enough in running things for myself.

I know what you mean, though without trades people who is going to fix their toilet/boiler/faulty electrical items, or build them their house etc. So let them have their issues, they can just put up with the leaks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 31 year old career changer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock