Search the forum,

Discuss 3 Way zone valve started banging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobert

Hi guys, New to the forum but thought I’d best get on top of this problem I’ve been living with for a while now so require some advice please. Although a common problem can’t find the answer to my specific situation.
Finished building the garage two years ago and had a new pressurised Worcester Greenstar Camray 18/25 oil fired fitted with underground pipe about 10m to the house replacing an old gravity fed system that was in the house. At the same time the plumber replaced an identical Drayton MA1 3 way mid position zone valve in the house. Incidentally were in a 10 rad bungalow.
All worked fine after commission for what I can remember about six month to a year despite slight pressure loss which I believe is common going from gravity to pressurised system. Then the banging started predominately when the valve hits it stop moving from just C/H to just H/W or combined to just H/W. This summer I wanted to fix the leek so drained flushed the system toughly with Fernox cleaner as the plumber added 5ltrs of anti-freeze due to being in the garage and was told by Fernox people that this would stop the Fernox sealer from working and was in no way enough quantity to stop the system from freezing and that I should have a frost stat fitted instead, which I do. Also added Fernox protector which is what I hoped would help the banging. Good news is the leek stopped but the bad news the bang hasn’t.
So all works fine still and the zone valve motors fine when it should with the thermostats to the correct positions and boiler kicks in as it should. Removing the motor from the valve and it turns fine by hand and can be made to bang by hand when pump is running. The pump was on its highest setting three turning it to two didn’t make much difference but on the lowest setting makes the biggest difference although the bang is still there (Would it be O.K. to leave it on this setting?).
So not sure what to do now? There is no by-pass valve fitted as the way I understand it it’s not required with a three way valve due to there always being a port open so there is no way the pump will be dead heading. Any suggestions greatly appreciated thank you.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 Way zone valve started banging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock