Search the forum,

Discuss 3 way valve, or pump, faulty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Jones

Hi, I have oil central heating which stopped working yesterday. What happens is the boiler runs for about 30 seconds, enough to heat the pipes coming out of the boiler and up to the 3 way valve and then it stops. I put the manual override on the 3 way valve but it seems to make no difference. I get a little bit of heat running through the other side of the valve towards the radiators but only about enough to heat the first 2 meters of the pipe. Wife says the radiators were making burbling noise during the day.

Would I be right in thinking there's a thermal cut-out on the boiler so that if the water has nowhere to go, or is only going into the hot water tank that is already hot, then the boiler will cut out?

It seemed like the bit of heat that came through was moving really slowly, is it possible the pumps gone, or could the 3 way valve be stuck feeding the tank, in spite of the setting on the override switch?

Thanks,

Dave

there are a few other possibilities too Dave
I'd recommend getting it looked at by a heating engineer if still a problem after you've bled the rads.

Please register to get more responses

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 way valve, or pump, faulty? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to turn off 1, 2 & 3. However as you can see I can't turn anything off between the valve and the hot water tank. If I use a bung in the header tank, will...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s also found that when the hot water is set to off on the programe timer, the boiler is still heating up water. I wonder if this is because the engineer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock