1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss 3/4 Brass coupling with nylon thread, why? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Plumb Duff

Plumb Duff New Member

Hi all, I recently got with a pressurised water heater connections consisting of 3/4 brass nipples and brass couplings, the coupling has rubber seals and nylon internal thread, why would this be the case and can I not just directly couple to the water heater without the coupling supplied using 3/4 elbows to the water heater with the nipples fitted? What is the purpose of the supplied coupling? (attached photo)

Attached Files:

2. SimonG

SimonG Plumber

So you dont damage the heater by riving on the fittings.

3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

They're dielectric couplings, they help prevent corrosion in the heater.
    If you don't fit them your warranty will be worthless.

4. Plumb Duff

Plumb Duff New Member

I should perhaps clarify it is the nipple that is designed to first connect to the water heater then the coupling into that, if I can connect direct to the nipple with an elbow (and this would be the preferred way due to space constraints) then I don’t need the brass/nylon coupling?

In reply to SimonG (thank you) surely the heater protected from damage by the nipple? Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. stani

stani Plumber GSR

Jcplumb is absolutely correct and the warranty is worthless without them.

6. Plumb Duff

Plumb Duff New Member

JC yes that sort of makes sense to me as it looked like it was designed for electrical isolation (albeit water is a conductor) having said that I'm using PVC covered aluminium pipe and it would suite a lot better if I could use the supplied coupling a couple of metres from the tank as opposed to directly onto it, would it make any difference... in your opinion?

7. stani

stani Plumber GSR

It's not for electrical insulation it's to stop corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stani

stani Plumber GSR

9. Plumb Duff

Plumb Duff New Member

Advise duly taken they will be fitted, many thanks to all that replied

10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

To be fair them ones look decent ones, normally there a bit of formed plastic just normally bin them as the tails out the heaters are plastic any way :s so no need and they always break/ snap as they can't take the heat and cooling

Ariston water heaters

also are you G3 registered as any pressurised water heater needs to be installed by a G3 qualified person

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016