Search the forum,

Discuss 22mm toilet overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trev78

Hi all,

Just on the last knockings of my bathroom refurb.

I need to extend the 22mm plastic overflow pipe to the toilet. I assumed this was 21.5mm until I tried some solvent weld fittings that were overly tight.

Where can I get fittings at 22mm? Are they solvent weld or some kind of push fit?

Many thanks!

Trev

Any good merchant should be able to help you out. Either with compressions or 21.5-22 reducers

Any good merchant should be able to help you out. Either with compressions or 21.5-22 reducer solvent weld

You might be better off changing the siphon in the cistern to a siphon including an integral overflow so that the water overflows down the pan if the inlet valve fails. Much better job.

Thanks guys. Is the integral overflow siphon available for a closed coupled, old (victorian) style toilet?? Internal cistern height is 11" (about 280mm).

There are a couple of alternatives but again a good merchant should be able to guide you. If you can post a couple of snaps someone on here could probably recommend

If it's a push button type bang a fluidmaster siphon in there.
For handle types I've been using the following lately, the adjustable height is good for getting the overflow level spot on.
Skylo Dual Flush Height Adjustment Syphon | Toolstation

You can get white 22mm solvent weld stop ends to cap off your overflow, but if I were you I'd fix the overflow for the price of a connector, I think it will look better than a pointless pipe poking out of the wall. :)

I think I have fixed the overflow issue now. Next challenge is the doughnut seal in the new coupling kit is too thick. Fits the nut perfectly. Can this be cut down as the original was a lot thinner and allowed the cistern to sit correctly on the back of the pan.
The second issue is the siphon. Original was 9.5", been sold a 9" Dudley turbo 88. Will this work ok? Will the flush handle sit correctly?

Remember the old donut has been compressed for some time that why it looks wrong.

Think the 88 is adjustable for height.

Last edited:
It's completely different, original was defiantly flat and allowed the cistern to sit closer to the pan. I will break something if I do it any tighter! [emoji38]

It fits the nut perfectly because that`s pretty much a standard size but with so many different close coupling toilets on the market now welll ......

You`ve got 61 posts now so you should be able to post photographs which always help the guy`s to help you quickly. Personaly I`ve never cut a donut but perhaps others will say differently.

The cistern doesn't need to sit right against the pan, the donut stops any water getting past and coming out of the gap.
As long as the donut seals the part where the tail of the flush goes into the hole in the pan you don't need to tighten any further.

Just wondering now if the donut could be upside down.

Trouble is, the holes in the wall are not in line with the doughnut. Here is a picture, original on left...
7dd7c123ae9a3f9e2d0201ef4de0bcfa.jpg

Hope you meant original on right. Looks like a normal donut to me thats been compressed.
The face of the donut that`s resting on the floor goes against the bottom of the cistern so that the concoured face of the donut goes in to the toilet pan and tighten the nut`s.

Doh, yes original on right!
The orientation I fitted it in was as you state - but it's too tall compared to the original, and where the holes are in the tiled wall!

I assume I need a 9.5" siphon as per original, as the 9" appears to set the handle at an angle.

62a350a6993f95cab0df6c808c03e626.jpg

I didn't think using the original toilet would give me such an ache!

I think the original washer was a flat washer & not domed. They go the shape yours has got (with tapered outer edge & ridge in centre), when fitted. Go and buy a flat washer from merchants.

I think the original washer was a flat washer & not domed. They go the shape yours has got (with tapered outer edge & ridge in centre), when fitted. Go and buy a flat washer from merchants.

I live n learn.

On your other point of the height of syphon making the handle sit at an angle - This is incorrect, as what you can use is a longer link wire, which you can buy at DIY & merchants.
A Dudley height adjustable syphon can be set for correct height. If you set it at a low enough height for internal overflowing, then make sure it is perfect by overflowing the cistern to check water level doesn't reach handle or other holes.

I've tried about 3 merchants - no luck! That was plumbase, plumb centre and another.. No joy! Not many local type firms round these parts now. The other part they offered me was a ideal standard type - totally wrong.

Is there a national firm that has these available do you know?

Also, assume I have to get the 9.5" siphon?

Lower syphon will be fine as it just means the water level has to be a lower max level, but that won't matter in your toilet & probably can be to normal water line anyhow. Only problem apart from link wire short is the Ballvalve arm can easily get jammed on the upper bit of the syphon as the arm moves up & down. It is a case of touching one thing causes more problems! I would tended to have just connected up the overflow pipe as that syphon you have is a good one.
But if you wish you could fit a lower syphon with a longer link wire (if needed) & possibly consider the ballvalve MIGHT have to be replaced with a vertical fill valve like a Fluidmaster or similar.

As part of my education just how many different types of donuts are there ?

How I sometimes wish for the old days when there was less options on everything.

The siphon in the pic is the replacement - they gave me a 9" instead of a 9.5". The original 9.5" was a Dudley cascade s7b.

The arm is close on the new one!

The old siphon didn't pull the handle very well. Instead of refurbishing, I thought I was clever replacing as the rest of the bathroom is fresh... A mistake, possibly!

Looks nice and clean & neat! Is that white silicone between the pot & the floor? Better with clear, believe it or not. White shows too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22mm toilet overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock