Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss 2 showers 1 pump - problems ! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. jamessalamon

jamessalamon New Member

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Maybe a shower cartridge issue then? That’s why I recommended testing the shower itself.

3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

And the pump isn’t piped correctly off the top of the cylinder

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

You could rip
    It apart to be fair mate. Quiet messy really. But I’m on my way out. May check back in later. AJ is calling.

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sucking down the vent :D

Needs an s flange fitting

6. jamessalamon

jamessalamon New Member

Hi chaps . I’ve taken the cassette out . but not sure where the filers would be .. I guess I just need to take more bits apart !

@Harvest Fields@Harvest Fields how do I check the shower it’s self ?

@ShaunCorbs@ShaunCorbs would you mind giving me a bit more help on what and where and S Flange is ? Where it goes ?

Thanks again ! if anyone fancies helping me directly please pm me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2018
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

Try shaun’s method first. Sounds like a shout. If not the only way to check the shower is to remove it.

9. jamessalamon

jamessalamon New Member

Hi guys .. pretty certain it already has a Surrey Flange fitted. That would only affect air sucked in at the pump end; remember that one shower is fine and the other isn’t . so it can’t be something to do with the pump in my opinion.. when I was talking about air being sucked in . I mean from the shower block it’s self ?! Is that something that can occur ? My gut feeling is the new shower block is failing at holding and air right seal; so water level is dropping. As you can see I can’t really take out the block as it’s now tiled into that wall !!

Ok - so back to the original question .. would switching the pump to a negative pump work ? I just need the shower to turn on the pump and we are on go ! Thinking I missed get just add some kinda remote control to force it to start delivering water . rather then reley on the mixer unit to demand the water ??

10. Harvest Fields

This is not a Surrey flange!

900836FA-2D72-4201-A320-2478429936E0.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jamessalamon

jamessalamon New Member

Ok . I’ll change it then

Does anyone think that will solve the problem though ?

12. Harvest Fields

Cheaper option then changing the shower and pump first.

13. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

OP: You're managing doublethink here to be honest.

Simultaneously you believe that the installation is under positive pressure and also that it's sucking in air. I think one excludes the other.

Of course, if the pump is powerful enough to suck air in down the vent (plus there will always be some air coming from the water in the cylinder itself (water loses the ability to allow air to remain dissolved as it is heated, hence bubbles form) which may end up in the pump because it isn't really installed properly on the hot side) then the air may later settle out in the pipe runs to your shower with the result of an airlock, which can impede flow, even in a positive pressure installation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jamessalamon

jamessalamon New Member

Hi .. again thanks for your comments and continued support. I’m not a plumber . I’m a DIYer who can’t get a plumber in my area as all of them are busy on all the super rich peoples houses ! Any available plumbers make me dispair ! (I had to ask the plumber to come back to give the pump a direct 22mm cold water feed and not a T off from another pipe !)

Anyway - I think everyone is misunderstanding what I’m suggesting ! Although the pump and tank install and pipe work isn’t ideal.. it delivers enough water to the two showers. The bar shower works perfectly, turn on the water and the pump starts.

The ensuite shower will not activate the pump. The ensuite shower will work if you Suck the assesory pipe or if you turn on the shower in the other bathroom. My ‘theory’ is that the ensuite shower block is letting in air (not the pump, or the tank) intonthe shower block it’s self. IF you tighten the isolation or flow rate screws in the block the water seems to stay in the block for longer (upto a hour or so) and therefore when you turn on the shower the pump works. But after 2hrs plus; it’s wont turn on the pump. I think it might be allowing the water level to drop as it’s letting in tiny amounts of air. (Like using a straw - a baby can’t use one as they don’t know how to maintain an airtight seal areound the straw!)

But as it’s installed in the wall - I can’t really take it out and replace ! So if I changed the pump to a negative one... might that help ? Are they not designed to PULL water into the shower and don’t need positive pressure to push down?
    Or
    Is there a filter or something that you recommend I check / take apart in the block ?

THANKYOU !! Come one we can crack this mystery !

15. Harvest Fields

Ian going to say this as nicely as possible. You are not listening to us. I am now done so I’m out. Good luck to you.
    Ohh and the shower clearly isn’t getting enough water as it isn’t working!

• Like Like x 1