Search the forum,

Discuss 1970's Imperial microbore.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereisawizza

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, had a 'mare the other night, "just cutting off" 2 x f&r's to an old towel rail, couldn't get an 8mm fitting onto the pipe and a 10mm flapped around like a clowns hat! Managed to unsolder some scrap adaptors from the pipework (which unfortunately had no maker marks on them) and re-use as a temp fix. Rung Yorkshire, no imperial microbore fittings available anymore?!?!

Any of the "mature" peeps on here know what this may be? Did microbore used to be 1/8" before metricicityness :)

Cheers, in advance, Rich.

Somebody had been using 1/4 or 3/8 soft copper.
It's amazingly still used on caravans and motor homes. Was used on oil likes too for flared fittings.

whats the wall thickness like?

old pipe was nominal bore also 5/16 but was and is almost the same (within 1 thou) of 8mm. maybe the pipe was not round

I would have thought 1970s pipes would be metric, - unless very early 1970s.
About 1973 was the last of imperial.
As above, ^ pipes could be a bit 'flat' were you cut them and even a brass compression fitting tapped onto to them will make them more round.

Thanks for your confidence in my pipe cutting guys :) Can't find my micrometer at the mo but on a steel rule is just under 9mm. The whole house is done it in, has adaptors to 10mm in all rad valves, elbows and tees; their appears to be no fittings in this size anywhere? That would be too easy as they may have something stamped on the side of them....

A DIY job done by a good old fashioned engineer with pipe and fittings he got from work no doubt, not too bad either, it's lasted 40 yrs
I wonder how many of todays install will last that long

Can any please tell me where I can buy a replacement late 1960's - early 1970's 8 valve Manifold, for use with 8mm Microbore pipes please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1970's Imperial microbore.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all - new to the forum I have attached a couple of pictures. I need / want to replace the radiator as it's old and rusted as can be seen. ALSO I really want to replace the awful valves each end for new shiny chrome style units. Im 100% happy with the draining / refilling / inhibiting of the...
Replies
Views
G
I am replacing a rad in the bathroom to a towel rail but the pipes which are microbore are buried in the concrete screed and they need moving closer together. Can i chase the pipe back and solder a extension piece in or is there more involved than that also can i step the pipe up to 15mm so i...
Replies
Views
P
Hi Guys. Im changing two bathroom radiators for chrome towel rails. The Radiator valves are 15mm but my piping is microbore (which i think is 8mm?) how best to fit the radiators. I have no access under the floor boards to get to the pipes and very little showing above floor level . If possible...
Replies
Views
stephenf8542
S
L
Hi, I am fitting a towel rail in place of a radiator. I had to use an internal reducer (15mm-10mm) to connect up the pipes to the towel rail. When I filled up the system again both valves were leaking. Do I also need to use a 15mm olive on this? At the moment I have; the copper heating pipe...
Replies
Views
Mushybees
M
Arguably fitting sanitary ware to finished bathrooms is one of the last jobs and potentially the time when things can go wrong. The cost of broken tiles, chipped finishes caused by incorrect drilling and installation can ruin a brilliant project. With the tiles on the wall all we need to do...
Replies
Views
365drills
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock