Search the forum,

Discuss 18v Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I am looking at buying an 18v drill and impact driver set, what do you guys all have and recommend? Also what kind of price did you pay.

Also I keep losing my screwdrivers so need a new set. My current ones are Stanley and to be honest I haven't been overly impressed with them. What sets do you recommend?

I had makita to start, wasn't overly impressed in the end and had the drill smoking on a few occasions.

Sold them to my cousin very cheaply and got the Milwaukee 18v hammer drill and impact kit.
powerful but heavier than most.
given them to my dad and have the new brushless Milwaukee kit which is lighter and more powerful.

it depends on what platform you want to go for. Dewalts recent stuff is pretty good.

as for screw drivers i use these bahco ones. Shop around for them though.
Im still using the first set i got three years ago, brought two more since, one for sparky tool roll and another to beef up my tool bag.

Bahco Screwdriver Set 1000V Slotted & Pozi 7Pcs | NoLinkingToThis

How much did you pay for the Milwaukee set? I have used the Milwaukee and Makita both 4Ah and preferred the Milwaukee.

For the standard hammer drill, impact, charger and 2 3ah batts i think i paid 340

after that i got more batterys and tools.

this year i got the fuel impact and fuel drill bare off ebay seperatly and paid 230 for the pair.

saying that i do really shop around and wait for good deals so i tend to pay less.

I fancy getting the brushless Milwaukee 18v Fuel kit with combi drill & impact driver complete with 2 of 4ah batteries.
They are smaller, lighter, more powerful & with longer lasting motors than drills that have brushes.
Just under £430 Inc vat, which is a lot of money, but not much more than decent ordinary kit.

Last edited:
Toolmonkey in Leighton buZzard - call them they will make u a good deal up or Folkestone fixings .

What jobs are they for? What's you budget?

£250 will get you a half decent set suitable for medium sized work, £400 will get you the top models and batts.

Other consideration are important. Do you want other tools in the future to use the same batts? Ie: saws, radio, vac, etc......

Just for general work really. Got an old Makita 18v at the moment which is fine as a screw gun but too gutless for drilling into brick. I've had it about 4 years now and just want an upgrade. I want something reliable and that is going to last for a few years, would ideally like to spend about £350 for the set. Obviously less would be a bonus.

I haven't used my hammer drill for brick actually....
only for drilling in wood!
oh and tiles.

will have a go with it in the morning!

i tend to use the 18v sds more because it has the changeable chucks.
3 jaw keyless and sds.
does you for every thing but it is abit bulky

I've got this, it's light enough to carry all day and can drill 20mm in masonry.
its worth getting the 4ah batts for it if your budget can stretch, then I've got the 18v combi drill with 3ah for screwing and "soft" drilling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
currently have the makita set as at the time they had the biggest range in a one battery fits all. and i cant say ive had any problems to date. However the new dewalt xrt lithium range looks tasty and comes in at a good price depending where you shop. I have seen some amazing deals on the milwaukee drill and impact sets think i even spoted one in hire station with the red battery packs at £280!!!! Panasonic are also worth looking at ultimately it depends what your budget is and what your expectations are of your kit. but whatever you get make sure the drill has an all metal gear box and casing that should plough through most things us plumbers can throw at it. if i was to start again i would opt for the milwaukeee but they would need to increase there range of tools. but i cant complain i mean i push my tools to the limits i have an 18v sds similar to the dewalt pictured above and that has done a 4" core hole on more then 1 occasion

Milwaukiee gets my vote , u break it they just give u a new one, you have to be very abusive....... Like dropping it in a headder tank or down say 4 stories!

Need to be careful with Milwaukee drills prices as I soon realised that they have a cheap 18volt kit, also heavy duty 18v kit and the the top of the range Fuel 18v. All look very similar.
Panasonic 14v or 18v combo drill seem great & very light, - so very practical, but I hear their impact drivers have problems.

The older non "fuel" twin pack can now be picked up very reasonably. Think plumb are doing them for around £250+

Nothing wrong with them, my kit has been going years. Waiting for an excuse to upgrade to fuel but I think I'll be waiting a while.

Milwaukee HD18PP2A-402 M18 Twin Pack

this is a decent deal, 4ah batts and the drill will drill most things you want a cordless to do.

The impact driver C18 ID in that kit is only single fixed torque whereas the Fuel drill kit impact has 3 torque settings from very low for delicate screws etc, to very high.
Also the Fuel drill is lighter & smaller, so personally I would get the Fuel kit.

As long as the milwaukee product code starts with HD, you can't go wrong.

The impact driver C18 ID in that kit is only single fixed torque whereas the Fuel drill kit impact has 3 torque settings from very low for delicate screws etc, to very high.
Also the Fuel drill is lighter & smaller, so personally I would get the Fuel kit.

The main reason i got the fuel stuff was the weight reduction and the normal impacts tendency to snap screws on occasion.
or fly straight through talon clips!

i mainly use my fual impact on 2 which is plenty powerful.
one for plasterboard and floor boards.

3 for lag bolts or 4 inch plus screws.

i would always spend the extra money on the fuel stuff now.

Why are you using an impact for clips and PB? The TINY M12 CD does that stuff with ease!

I only use my impact for large screws through timbers etc.

i have a 3 speed impact driver, has not made a difference in how i use the tool really. If im doing delicate work i would not use an impact driver tbh but a drill driver with the clutch setting required. I guess it depends what you want to pay and use it for. If you want to spend the extra 100 squid get the fuel, or spend the 100 squid on a saw or radio. If the weight is a concern then get a kit with the 2ah batts.

choices, choices! :)

The main reason i got the fuel stuff was the weight reduction and the normal impacts tendency to snap screws on occasion.
or fly straight through talon clips!

i mainly use my fual impact on 2 which is plenty powerful.
one for plasterboard and floor boards.

3 for lag bolts or 4 inch plus screws.

i would always spend the extra money on the fuel stuff now.

Thanks for telling me. Exactly what I had thought - I don't want an impact driver that is full torque all the time as it would make it unusable for a lot of work. When spending £300 + what's another few quid?

Why are you using an impact for clips and PB? The TINY M12 CD does that stuff with ease!

I only use my impact for large screws through timbers etc.

I have a little combo van so i try to carry as little with me as i can

so i have a dewalt t stack with my sds and impact in and 4 batts
2 3 amps and 2 1.5 amps.
All my drill bits in the top.
Does me 90% of the time :)

another option is you could spend the extra 100 towards a 10.8v/12v screwdriver for the delicate work. the dewalt would be my choice.

another option is you could spend the extra 100 towards a 10.8v/12v screwdriver for the delicate work. the dewalt would be my choice.

Nope. Milwaukee again. Everything else is PANTS. not even an opinion, it's just fact.

i have the dewalt 18v twinpack just getting used to it impacts a beast think there 4.0 batteries,drill drivers lively but only drilling plugs with it,as for bits Milwaukee are sh8te,wera much better

Thanks for telling me. Exactly what I had thought - I don't want an impact driver that is full torque all the time as it would make it unusable for a lot of work. When spending £300 + what's another few quid?

2 setting is what you get out of a makita impact performance wise imho,
1 is really delicate, soon as it starts to "impact" it cuts out
will still go through plaster board if you're not careful but its controllable.

i have a screwdriver for putting plasterboard up though, i would never use it other than the odd fixing in pb

I don't bother with expensive bits. The boxes of 20 dewalt for a few quid are so cheap they're disposable and the life/cost ratio (cost per screw) is better than expensive bits.

No I don't, I wouldn't dream of holding a dewalt "tool". They're for kids aren't they? ;)

i have the dewalt 18v twinpack just getting used to it impacts a beast think there 4.0 batteries,drill drivers lively but only drilling plugs with it,as for bits Milwaukee are sh8te,wera much better

Milwaukee's bits arn't rated high enough for their own impacts.

Only wera and dewalts black impact range are!

I don't bother with expensive bits. The boxes of 20 dewalt for a few quid are so cheap they're disposable and the life/cost ratio (cost per screw) is better than expensive bits.

No I don't, I wouldn't dream of holding a dewalt "tool". They're for kids aren't they? ;)
but you use there bits????????? i hear your banned from all powertools tb in case you hurt yourself LOL

And yes, I'll use their bits. Reasonably priced and readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 18v Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock