Search the forum,

Discuss 1 pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Taken on a job - woman's house is part flow/return 2 pipe and part 1 pipe system..

I'm ripping out the remaining 1 pipe and joining into the existing flow/return.

Other than new valves if they're still the ones for 1 pipe systems, it no different to piping up a normal flow/return system is it?

It's on a combi boiler system.

Is there anything I need to be aware of as I've never worked on a 1 pipe system before. I understand how it works in theory but just wanted to check if I needed to be aware of anything when changing it over to 2 pipes

The recently added section of flow/return was put in in 15mm - is there any point in going to 22 after this? I was thinking of running the rest in 15 also..?? It's not a massive place, maybe 8-10 rads in total, half house in 1 pipe the other in two

Well work out the heat loading of the rads and calculate if 15mm can carry enough heat to make them perform as expected.
15mm can only convey so many Kw - just make sure its enough

Old school way for 15mm pipes (on an open vented system) is 20,000 btus - close to 6kw. I still see that as correct.
That's really two fairly large double radiators maximum, or 4 or 5 fairly small rads, to think in simple terms.
Obviously a sealed system, like on a combi, is more capable but personally I wouldn't do too much 15mm in main flow and returns on any type of system. Got to also consider length of any long runs.
I prefer 22mm doing most of a main run right to the last couple of rads. It keeps the system easy to balance, as the end part of a circuit is always the hardest to heat properly and reducing the pipes diameter there would make it worse. I have always thought it sensible to maintain the larger diameter throughout the circuits main flow & return.

Also, - Don't forget that many modern designer rads require good flow to them, due to thin restrictive waterways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1 pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have seen people speaking of this and others not understanding. I have a leak in my pipe coming from the main. Attaching a new 1/2" coupling to the 1/2" pipe (blue pipe) is a problem as the coupling is larger than the pipe although both are 1/2". Most people do not realize that there are...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now completed damp proofing works & I need to extend these 4 pipes to go through the wall and into a new boiler room. This area will then be stud wall and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock