Search the forum,

Discuss 1/2 inch imperial copper to big for end feed imperial?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmcginty

Hi guys , got a bit of an annoying one here . Half inch copper pipe needs to be connected up to 15 mm only problem is the end feed imperial to metric adaptors are just a little too small, I have also tried a hep2o one and it too does not fit, I know john guest do one but everwhere I phone doesn't do 'em, so if you know a fitting or a shop that will deliver or a universal adaptor please let me know .:mad: Cheers

maybe i an not thinking correctly but I am sure a 15mm compression will fir both imperial and metric. also sure the 15mm metric coupling fits the imperial 1/2" pipe. just needs a goog clean with steel wool and no burrs on the cut.

Ah thanks for the answer mate but it was the first thing I tried it is definateley not going to fit . Cheers anyway.

They do fit mate you just need to give it a tap with you grips.

Thats what I remembered and get the pipe very clean (ie clean off enough to make it fit).

well strange as it may seem john is correct ,some 1/2 copper pipe does not fit the new 15mm fittings
however firstly you have to make sure the copper pipe has not frozen in the past and increased the OD diameter
after that,you will have to file round the out side of the copper pipe until it fits into a 15mm fitting
the 1/2" pipe that is a problem is quite thick bore ,so ok to file

well strange as it may seem john is correct ,some 1/2 copper pipe does not fit the new 15mm fittings
however firstly you have to make sure the copper pipe has not frozen in the past and increased the OD diameter
after that,you will have to file round the out side of the copper pipe until it fits into a 15mm fitting
the 1/2" pipe that is a problem is quite thick bore ,so ok to file

Agree with puddle, its because old imp. pipe was 1/2" I.D. so if it was heavier gauge it was thicker OD, but 15mm pipe is 15mm O.D.

Cured it guys thanks , pts were scratching their heads when I bought in the pipe section and we were trying it with allsorts, (basically the I.D was 15mm ) then one guy came out with a brass soldered fitting , he said it was called a 17 guage imperial think it was kluterlite and had it written on the side and all though it still didn't fit I took it on site and used a piece of wood and a hammer and smacked it on, took a while mind then it just soldered in as usual. the guy told me he installed the pipe himself in 1969, it is very very hard copper and very thick bore almost like lead so didn't really deburr to easily . Cheers for the help guys

Last edited by a moderator:
it is easier to "hammer" on a hep2o plastic 15mm fitting

Really....? looked as if it would break if I did that , does that really work? makes me want to go back and try it now as hep was what I tried origionally...

I've just bought a speedfit 1/2" imperial to 15mm metric straight from JTM Plumbing
They do a good range of speedfit at low prices.

Kuterlite fittings should go on.

Alternatively try Conex.

As you decommission old systems, hang onto any 1/2" and 3/4" brass fittings you find plus a few decent lengths of pipe. Never know when they are going to come in useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1/2 inch imperial copper to big for end feed imperial?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock